Layer feed as a treat? All flock feed question too?

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi all my pullets are not laying yet. I have two batched one 15 weeks and the other 7 weeks. I accidentally ordered Scratch and peck layer feed by accident. They are fed egglands best chick starter now as their main food free choice every day. Could I give them small handfuls of the layer feed as treats? Maybe put them in a water bottle for them to jump up and peck the bits out of? Or do I need to just wait until both age groups start laying? I don't want to feed them old feed so wonder if that would be bad to just keep it for a couple more months. Would prefer to use it as a treat but don't know if that would be bad because isn't there added calcium in it? Im really looking to you guys for advice. Also does anyone know an all flock feed that is non gmo and organic? I would really prefer not to have them on a layer since I've read lots of negative things about it but can not find a suitable all flock. Also what if I kept them on egglands best organic chick starter grower their whole lives or any type of starter grower? Could they be on a starter grower for their whole lives with grit and oyster shell on the side? Advice would be really appreciated from as many people as possible. Thank you!!

I wouldn’t feed layer as treats. It probably won’t last for a few more months, so it’ll most likely either go bad before you can use it, or you could give it to someone. Do you have any friends that keep chickens that would like some layer feed? That would be the easiest solution in my opinion, and it’ll be used.

I use Purina Flock Raiser. I don’t know if it’s non-gmo or organic, though I think it’s non-gmo. I don’t believe organic always equals healthy, so I never really care to look.
Do you have any feed mills near you? They might have some all flock for sale, and if it’s a small business it’ll most likely be organic and non-gmo.

I wouldn't feed them the layer, if it was just the older ones maybe as 50/50 with their current feed, but not the 7 week olds.

You can keep them on the starter feed for life if you want. My organic "all flock" is Payback Hatch to Hen but that's manufactured in Idaho I think, so not sure how readily available it would be for you.

I have two batched one 15 weeks and the other 7 weeks. I accidentally ordered Scratch and peck layer feed by accident.
If you can't give to a fellow chicken enthusiast, can you freeze it in gallon size or larger bags?
You can mix 50/50 with the Starter-Grower in 8 weeks when the youngest are 15 weeks old.
Also what if I kept them on egglands best organic chick starter grower their whole lives or any type of starter grower?
You can certainly do that.
I have two Flocks, separate coops and pens.
I feed my hens (23 months old) and my pullets (14 weeks old) a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18%.
My Barred Rock hens have never had a Layers feed.
They have a separate container of Oyster Shells in a separate container.
My ISA Browns pullets will get a container of Oyster Shells after 15 weeks old.
20181214_095753.jpg
My hens eggs are strong, I only got a couple of soft shelled eggs when they started to lay.
20200725_182148_resized.jpg

I like a feed with 18 to 20% Protein and Layer feeds are mostly 16%. GC

ETA; I thought of another idea. Because Scratch and Peck Layers feed is whole grains, the added calcium is in the powder fines.
You could rinse off the powder with a screen strainer and hot water.
20200809_075847_resized.jpg
A small amount at a time daily and use as Scratch Grains scattered on the ground as a treat.

Last edited:
If you can't give to a fellow chicken enthusiast, can you freeze it in gallon size or larger bags?
You can mix 50/50 with the Starter-Grower in 8 weeks when the youngest are 15 weeks old.

You can certainly do that.
I have two Flocks, separate coops and pens.
I feed my hens (23 months old) and my pullets (14 weeks old) a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18%.
My Barred Rock hens have never had a Layers feed.
They have a separate container of Oyster Shells in a separate container.
My ISA Browns pullets will get a container of Oyster Shells after 15 weeks old.View attachment 2283389 My hens eggs are strong, I only got a couple of soft shelled eggs when they started to lay.View attachment 2283390
I like a feed with 18 to 20% Protein and Layer feeds are mostly 16%. GC

ETA; I thought of another idea. Because Scratch and Peck Layers feed is whole grains, the added calcium is in the powder fines.
You could rinse off the powder with a screen strainer and hot water.View attachment 2283424 A small amount at a time daily and use as Scratch Grains scattered on the ground as a treat.
Thank you! I really like this!! I’m going to contact the company to ensure it’s just a powder and then do this!! Thank you!! Thanks everyone for all your replies!!

Back
Top Bottom