Layer feed WITHOUT soy??? Where???

Quote:
Wow, that's just what i need too! I don't like the idea of soy for my birds, i don't think they need the estrogen (among other things) and i have no idea if the eggs retain any of the hormones contained in soy, but if it's like any other chemical we put in our livestock i'm sure they do... and i'm not thrilled about feeding that to my young son.
old.gif

I dont want soy in my products either. Ive read the research and its not pretty. Soy is just not good for you.

I looked at those sites, they said if you combine shipping with someone else then its cheaper.

Might have to find someone interested in splitting an order, hint hint (LOL)

Hey that might be do-able!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I dont want soy in my products either. Ive read the research and its not pretty. Soy is just not good for you.

I looked at those sites, they said if you combine shipping with someone else then its cheaper.

Might have to find someone interested in splitting an order, hint hint (LOL)

Hey that might be do-able!
big_smile.png

Just let me know
smile.png
I dont have chickens yet, but should have some by the end of the month. I want to be prepared.

That's interesting... I never knew soy was bad for you.

So then does anyone know if chickens pass on these harmful substances from soy in their eggs, or does their digestive process break them down and shield us?

in my opinion, that soy site is very biased. I, too, feed soy-free to my chicks. However, soy is not "toxic health food" and "bad for you." If that were the case, a place like China that uses soy in everything wouldn't be one of the world's most populace nations. Let's not be extremist here. The deal is, that soy does contain estrogen and high levels in your diet can cause problems for a small number of people. Just don't go overboard. If you feed chicken feed that depends on soy as its main source of protein, I would consider that overboard. But, eating some edamame or soy sauce now and again is not. It's all about moderation and perspective. The real deal is that chickens are omnivores and they need animal protein for optimal growth and development. Soy protein is a lower-quality, cheaper protein and that's the other reason it is not desirable in chicken feed. As for all the "toxic substances" found in soy - that is nonsense propaganda. Anything is toxic when consumed in huge amounts. Even water. Heck, apple seeds contain arsenic. Just not a lot. We all need to have perspective and not get sucked in by propaganda.

p.s. in keeping with the original post topic, I buy my organic, soy-free feed from Countryside naturals (link provided earlier in thread). The shipping costs more than the feed, but it's the best option I have found so far.

Quote:
I for one dont feel is propaganda, but we are all allowed to believe what we want
smile.png
This is after all a free country... so far.

My husband gets sick when he eats soy. So for us, not using soy is important.

like I said, I think there are arguements for both sides, but in my opinion, moderation is everything. Clearly more than a billion people on the Asian continent are not all being seriously harmed by soy. On the other hand, it does have it's negative attributes. So, my conclusion is this - if you are not allergic and don't have another good reason to avoid it completely, then enjoy it in moderation. There are many great foods made from soy. And again, I agree that it's not the right protein source for poultry food. this is like anything... take alcohol... a million arguments could be made in favor of completely abstaining from alcohol consumption. On the other hand, there are also health benefits from alcoholic beverages like beer and wine and cultures like the French have had a very positive, healthy relationship with alcohol for a long, long time. When done properly and in moderation, many things are OK or good to eat or drink. Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom