1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer pellets for DRAKES???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    What about drakes' diet. Many understandably want their flock to get the same feed.

(I am assuming here a chicken free flock)

Some will give layer pellets even year round to their ducks (with odd supplements, of course, as we all do--plus forage)

But what about drakes getting this hi Calcium feed? Does anyone have any thoughts here?

Anyone read any studies on this?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I feed an all purpose pellet and add a feeder of oyster shell for the girls to eat as they need.

3. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Our drakes do fine on layer feed. The extra calcium makes their toenails grow really fast, so they need to be trimmed more often.

Kris

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    mine eat layer feed, too. everybody eats the same main thing. then with snacks, they have their favorites.

5. I put out two bowls, one with layer pellets, one with triple duty crumbles. Add some nutritional yeast, oats, etc. to each. Hope they figure out which one to eat from. Also set out a small bowl of baked crumbled eggshells. Both the drakes and ducks eat the layer pellets, both eat triple duty. So do the squirrels. [​IMG]

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have 3 drakes and about 7-8 ducks. I feed them all layer and I have been feeding them the layer for over a year now. The extra calcium doesn't do anything harmful to them.

7. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Dear Everyone:

I am very grateful for your replies!

8. Omadawn

Omadawn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    This is great thankyou, after reading this is has helped me lots, im new to duck keeping and had a bit of a panic when reading some information about layers pellets lol, the other thing I was wondering is would it be easier to feed the layers pellets in water as they would have to put thier heads in and clean themselves, and would be softer on the drakes insides, or am I just being a bit paraniod lol ?

Kind Regards
    Omadawn x

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Putting pellets in water is just going to soften them to the point of mush. As long as your ducks are 6 months or so, layer pellets will be fine. You don't want to feed layer to growing ducklings though.

10. Omadawn

Omadawn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    ok , thats eased my mind thankyou

Kind regards

Omadawn x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by