Layer pellets & scratch?? Less eggs or more?

Thanks! This thread was originally about scratch...speaking of scratch, my 3 hens will come on Tuesday. I was thinking that I should wait a day or two before giving treats, to make sure that they know what their food is. Is this necessary? By treats I was including scratch, mealworms, basically anything that isn't their layer feed.

Thanks! This thread was originally about scratch...speaking of scratch, my 3 hens will come on Tuesday. I was thinking that I should wait a day or two before giving treats, to make sure that they know what their food is. Is this necessary? By treats I was including scratch, mealworms, basically anything that isn't their layer feed.
You can definitely wait even longer than that before giving them any treats such as mealworms or whatever because they don't even need it really bright the first week or two it's basically used as atreaat and to get them to get more protein
..and as a reward

Do give any treats.

Ever.

You aren't doing your chickens any favor by giving them treats everyday.
Feed them a commercially made, balanced, complete chicken feed.

Think of treats just like feeding your children chips and candy. Do you think it's smart to feed your children chips and candy every single day?

Do give any treats.

Ever.

Think of treats just like feeding your children chips and candy. Do you think it's smart to feed your children chips and candy every single day?
I wouldn't be giving them treats every day-just occasionally when it gets normal. I would be using them more at the beginning to get them to trust me, and to do some basic training. If it was chicks, it would be different, but I am starting with hens and want to make sure that they like me, and I have read that the best ways to get them to like you is to spend time with them and give treats.

You can definitely wait even longer than that before giving them any treats such as mealworms or whatever because they don't even need it really bright the first week or two it's basically used as atreaat and to get them to get more protein
..and as a reward
I'm going to use it primarily for training at first, and getting them to like me. How long should I wait to start this? My main concern was that they would think that the scratch was their food, and ignore their real food. If it was chicks it would be different, but I'm worried that adult birds won't warm up to me without some 'bribery' (aka treats)

I wouldn't be giving them treats every day-just occasionally when it gets normal. I would be using them more at the beginning to get them to trust me, and to do some basic training. If it was chicks, it would be different, but I am starting with hens and want to make sure that they like me, and I have read that the best ways to get them to like you is to spend time with them and give treats.
Theres alotnof ways also trial and error!! Youll see whatbworks for you but ya not everyday there are millions that guvebtheir hens occasional treats and they are happy and healthy ... just don't come close to over doing it

Feed...use feed in your hand. They won't know any better and think it's a treat. ;)

Do give any treats.

Ever.

What about bege treats?

Back
Top Bottom