Layer pellets & scratch?? Less eggs or more?

Hi guys,

I have a odd question I guess Ive had chicken's for many many years but have never fed scratch grains, have just given them a layer pellets and occasionally bought small 5lb bags of cracked corn and gave it to them here and there they also free range, I've had chickens now that don't free-range because I lost some to Predators but they have a big run. Someone gave me a 50 lb bag of scratch grains so I give them a pan of layer pellets and a pan with some scratch grains at first they weren't touching the scratch now they seem to be eating the scratch grains and not the layer pellets as much and my egg production has gone down considerably, just need some suggestions on whether I should withhold the scratch grains until they eat the layer pellets or just give them to scratch grains occasionally?

Thank you for any and all suggestions!
Mix the pellets and scratch together thats what I do

Personally i feed layer crumbles, black oil sunflower seeds, whole oats, and oyster shells all free choice. Always haves oyster shells or another form of calcium available because they'll know when they need it. I've noticed as the heat has increased they've been eating more oyster shells. I also give them a treat of alfalfa, usually i buy a block from the local feed store but someone mentioned to me you could also soak alfalfa cubes though i haven't tried it yet. I usually give scratch grains only twice a week because it's my understanding that's high in empty calories, just like corn. If you're worried about protien you could add specific seeds/ grains and mix it yourself. That's what i do with the oats and sunflower seeds, but it has to be the black oil ones.

Yup, scratch is a treat, but I give mine a handful of scratch first thing in the morning. Their routine is dessert first !! Then water, then crumbles, then lay an egg, then a dust bath, then wander about and see what they can destroy............. Then another handful of scratch before they go in. I think they have me well trained............

Hi guys,

I have a odd question I guess Ive had chicken's for many many years but have never fed scratch grains, have just given them a layer pellets and occasionally bought small 5lb bags of cracked corn and gave it to them here and there they also free range, I've had chickens now that don't free-range because I lost some to Predators but they have a big run. Someone gave me a 50 lb bag of scratch grains so I give them a pan of layer pellets and a pan with some scratch grains at first they weren't touching the scratch now they seem to be eating the scratch grains and not the layer pellets as much and my egg production has gone down considerably, just need some suggestions on whether I should withhold the scratch grains until they eat the layer pellets or just give them to scratch grains occasionally?

Scratch grains are for special treats only. They are basically corn. Feeding them scratch grains is like feeding them Fritos. A little now and then is ok but for good nutrition they need the layer feed. Sometimes i mix a little flock raiser with the pellets for a treat. Many of my chickens have lived over 11 years old.

I feed a constant supply of layer pellets but I save scratch grains for late evening when I spend some time with the girls, just before bedtime. I let them have about 1 handful of scratch per 2 hens. They wait for me at the gate to come give them their bedtime treat. I have more eggs than I know what do with most of the time. But letting them eat all scratch isn't as good for them as they need that extra fat and protein from pellets. My scratch grains average no more than 8% fat or protein but the layer pellets are much higher. They love scratch though and will walk past the pellets to get even a single tiny bit of scratch. I call it chicken crack.

I have been feeding scratch grain for many years but I only provide a hand full first thing in the morning as a treat and another hand full in the evening to get them to come inside the coop so I can lock them up for the night. There is no better way to get them to come in for the night. No matter what they are doing out in the run they will all come running when it is scratch time.

Hi guys,

My "girls" are totally free range. I have never given them "scratch grains." They get layer feed that is both Soy & Corn free. I do give them dried mealworms for "animal protein and fat." Chickens are not vegetarians. They are primarily Carnivores. My "girls" lay eggs year round because they get to eat "bugs" year round. I raise my own mealworms so in the winter I just feed them to my chiclens live. Buying 200 lbs. of corn meal every 3 months to feed the mealworms is a minor expense considering the hundreds of lbs. of high quality protein and fat for my birds. Dried peas, oats, barley, wheat, alfalfa, kelp, and mealworms. 60 hens give me an average of 4 dozen eggs day, year round. I sell checken eggs. I also keep ducks for eggs. They too love mealworms and most lay eggs year round at an average of 1 egg per day. Feed your birds "bugs" and give the scratch to the sparrows.

Hi guys,

My "girls" are totally free range. I have never given them "scratch grains." They get layer feed that is both Soy & Corn free. I do give them dried mealworms for "animal protein and fat." Chickens are not vegetarians. They are primarily Carnivores. My "girls" lay eggs year round because they get to eat "bugs" year round. I raise my own mealworms so in the winter I just feed them to my chiclens live. Buying 200 lbs. of corn meal every 3 months to feed the mealworms is a minor expense considering the hundreds of lbs. of high quality protein and fat for my birds. Dried peas, oats, barley, wheat, alfalfa, kelp, and mealworms. 60 hens give me an average of 4 dozen eggs day, year round. I sell checken eggs. I also keep ducks for eggs. They too love mealworms and most lay eggs year round at an average of 1 egg per day. Feed your birds "bugs" and give the scratch to the sparrows.

I'm with SixandaHalfacres and Acre4me, scratch is just a treat. I may throw out about a quart twice a week into theyre big run and maybe a handful mixed in with the Laying pellets in the big feed container, but that's it. I also read that adding 20% Chick starter to the Laying pellets could with theyre Protien intake, so I mix them both together in my food storage bin. I put enough of it in theyre feed container to last about 5 days, if not a lil longer and they'll eat every bit of it. Of course, like you mentioned, chkncrazy, the heat can be a problem. Here around San Antonio, Texas, were around 100 degree's and my egg production has gone down, too. My chickens rather be in theyre closed run with a roof over it, than the open run. :)

@chkncrazy here are some pictures of the cross. 1/2 FBCM & 1/2 cream legbar.
Actually looks better in person then in the picture. I love the little what I call helmet on her head. Very sleek profile like the legbar but Marans color.
View attachment 2217923View attachment 2217924View attachment 2217925View attachment 2217926View attachment 2217927View attachment 2217928
Here is another young chick with what I think is going to be very nice plumage. Unfortunately I have no idea what the hen was that produced this result in the cross.
It reminds me of seabright coloring.
View attachment 2217930View attachment 2217931View attachment 2217932View attachment 2217933
These birds look just like what I got this spring as Black sex link...I ordered 20 chicks, received 22, all survived. there is about a 50/50 mix between all black and golden colour head shoulders. The one Ro is a blk/wht brindle.(lack of better term)

Back
Top Bottom