Laying and privacy with two girls

Ballerina Bird

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
So, I have the smallest possible flock -- two hens. I know this isn't ideal, and more would be better, but two are what I have room for and can manage to care for by myself and keep at a noise minimum for neighbors. I am pretty sure that one hen is ready to lay -- she has been squatting for at least a few days, and I think she was practicing an egg song a little while ago. All morning, neither hen would come down from the coop, and I wondered if perhaps Odette (the hen who is ready to lay) wanted to stay up there to lay but her sister (Odile) was crowding her. I don't know if hens need privacy when they lay eggs. I thought Odette might want to have a little space to lay, so I took Odile and put her into the run. Odette just followed her out of the coop, though. There is a nesting box in the coop with straw in it. Any thoughts? Thanks and happy holidays.

Last edited:
I agree.

I have often seen 3 girls in the one nest, all vying for a position to lay. This is despite the fact that I provide several other, equally comfortable nests which they could choose to utilise.

Not only that, there is often one on the outside, prancing about with crossed legs, waiting for a spot to open up so she can squeeze in o lay too!

They are flock animals, so I don't think they value privacy as we do.

Good luck with your first egg. It sounds like it won't be long now.

- Krista

I agree.

I have often seen 3 girls in the one nest, all vying for a position to lay. This is despite the fact that I provide several other, equally comfortable nests which they could choose to utilise.

Not only that, there is often one on the outside, prancing about with crossed legs, waiting for a spot to open up so she can squeeze in o lay too!

They are flock animals, so I don't think they value privacy as we do.

Good luck with your first egg. It sounds like it won't be long now.

- Krista

Thanks! Really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond on Xmas eve! I just saw Odile squatting in the run, so it must be getting close for both of them....

I've also noticed that several of my girls will develop "friendships". They like to do everything together. They forage together, and when one goes in to lay, the other will go in the coop with her, and wait patiently outside the nest box while her BFF lays her egg. Then, one or both will sing the egg song, and they'll toddle back outside and resume foraging for their tasty little tidbits. All in a day's work for them!!

I've also noticed that several of my girls will develop "friendships".  They like to do everything together.  They forage together, and when one goes in to lay, the other will go in the coop with her, and wait patiently outside the nest box while her BFF lays her egg.  Then, one or both will sing the egg song, and they'll toddle back outside and resume foraging for their tasty little tidbits.  All in a day's work for them!!

So cute!

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Good times! I got some wooden eggs for Christmas so they're going in the nest now. Goofy is exactly how she is acting, poor thing.

Update: first egg today! Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom