laying eggs with no shells

priss

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Isle of Wight
So one of my ducks the day before yesterday laid an egg with no shell. It was just a big long stringy line of rubbery white. It all seemed to come out and yesterday she was running around like a happy little duck again. This morning she was fine too then about an hour ago she has gone sluggish and is sitting in the waterbowl again and has just started to lay another egg with no shell. She has layers pellets, oystershell and cuttlefish powder. The other two are just fine and laying all fine. I don't know what to do to help her. Can anyone give advice? I take it I shouldn't pull the stringy egg stuff out? She is looking at me for help and I don't know what to do????
Is there anything she can eat or drink that will help push it through? Bearing in mind she has gone off food for the moment. This happened last time. Once the egg was out she was scoffing down food no problem.
Please if you have any experience or knowledge of this help! Will this happen every time she lays now?
xxxx

Ooops replied too quick wifezilla! Thank you, was your duck okay with it though? It seems to take a lot outa the little thing.

Although after saying that she's just perked up a little and is scoffing the layers pellets and oyster shell I put next to her...

Somebody in my flock lays rubber/pond eggs. That is, usually in the pool, sometimes on the ground, always rubbery. Haven't figured out which girl it is yet but the other 5 lay overnight in their house.
Everyone has access to pure oyster shell. Oysters are dug up by my cousin to eat, shells hammered to pieces by me. So enough calcium is present.
I just put it down to a spare duck whose laying machine doesn't work very well. I still get 4/5 duck eggs a day so I don't really care.

(Of course a lot of the oyster shell is consumed by my 2 drakes and my old retired chicken. I'm glad I don't pay for the stuff!)

Back
Top Bottom