Laying gen with poopy butt

tstrode

Hatching
Jul 8, 2016
Help! I'm new to this egg-laying thing. I have a 6 month old RIR that has been laying for about 4 weeks now. Over the last week I've noticed she has a pretty significant poopy butt. It seems I've only caught this shortly after she's laid her egg. The other hens don't show any signs of this. Is this normal or is there something I can/should do to clean her up? Thanks~ Worried chicken mama

Some hens just have a tendency to collect droppings if their feathers are full, an odd shaped bottom, and because of runny droppings for some reason. Try giving her bottom a warm soapy wash, and dry her completely before returning outside. Sometimes trimming excess fluff might help. Feed some plain probiotic yogurt a couple of times a week.

Agree w/@Eggcessive re adding probiotics - you could also add Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to her water.

You might want to keep an eye on her egglaying, too...I mention this because I recently had a RIR hen about a year old die from egg yolk peritonitis, and the initial symptom was an excessively poopy bum that gradually became worse, and eventually there was egg yolk dripping from her vent. I'm not suggesting that this is what your girl has, but wanted to put it out there as a caution.

Best wishes for your pullet.

Thank you so much for your input! And, oops...I obviously meant 'hen', not 'gen'! I will try your suggestions. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Back
Top Bottom