Lazy chicken or health issue

OneCountryChick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
North Idaho (Garwood)
I'm new to raising chickens, so I don't know if I've got a problem or not. My 10-wk-old pullet appears lazy since she was just
a wee chick. She is feathered out and beautiful, but always the last to appear out of the coop, she forages when they are all out free ranging, but she never scratches the ground, just lays down to eat. She lays down a lot. Never comes for her share of the treats either. Is she just antisocial or could she have a vitamin deficiency? I did hold her yesterday and inspect her eyes and legs. She appears normal except possibly a very slight limp. Should I try administering a poly-vitamin supplement and see if it perks her up? Thanks anyone with ideas!

My chicken acted like this, although a very noticeable limp. I think she strained a leg muscle. I just put her in a small space so she would not stretch it anymore. A couple weeks should do it. You have to NOT feel bad for the chicken and let it out because it looks lonely and cramped in a small space, otherwise she'll strain it again and start limping again. Trust me. :) My chicken had it around that age too. It could be a vitamin deficiency, but I've never had a problem with that so I wouldn't know.

Today she won't come out of the coop when I brought a bowl of fresh fruit to my 6 girls. She will run and fly when I let them all out for the afternoon to free range, but she always lags behind. She seems to forage fine, but won't come get her fair share of treats. I added some bird vitamins to their water last night. Maybe I should deworm her. She doesn't act sick, but just not quite as happy and energetic as the rest.

She may be low in the pecking order, and they sometimes will lag behind. Has she always had a limp? She may have just strained something. If she is eating, drinking, and foraging okay I would not isolate or keep her caged up.

I've really been watching my "lazy" Lacy. She's a gold-laced Wyandotte. The other Wyandotte is such a good friend to her. When she lays down instead of foraging with the other 5 girls, her friend comes and stays with her. She appears lowest in the pecking order, but not picked on too bad(no feather pulling or bullying except an occasional peck from the 2 larger and 5 wks older pullets). None are laying yet. I have 4 12-wk olds and 2 a month older. Lacy seems to walk with her tail down, like a dog with its tail between its legs. She eats fine. But a definite limp. She won't scratch the ground and tries to keep up with the others but is usually content to just lay and eat whats around her. She seems like she isnt gaining and growing quite as fast. Any ideas?

I would contact a vet. She may not scratch because she'd either have to do it with that leg, or have to put weight on that leg. She may not be getting enough nourishment as the other birds, because she hasn't getting as much protein. Again, I'd probably contact the vet. I'd probably also see if you can get her to eat meal worms, they're a good source of protein, and even my finicky girls will eat them. :)

Thanks, I'll try wrapping her leg. I am giving them all vitamins and ACV. Maybe a good deworming. I wish they could talk, sure would make things easier to help them! The other girls act and look healthy, this one seems to be getting worse. Is giving an antibiotic okay even if you don't know what's wrong, or try a dewormer first?

Thanks, I'll try wrapping her leg. I am giving them all vitamins and ACV. Maybe a good deworming. I wish they could talk, sure would make things easier to help them! The other girls act and look healthy, this one seems to be getting worse. Is giving an antibiotic okay even if you don't know what's wrong, or try a dewormer first?

I'd give her a wormer like valzeben, then up her protein, and calcium level. If she's how legged add niacin.Scrambled eggs with shells is a great way to get hens to eat their veggies. Lol

Back
Top Bottom