Lazy or obese cockerel?

I just wonder if he could be Brahma x CornishX? I mean, that's what he looks/ behaves like. @Overo Mare, is there any way to tell?
The typical Cornish Cross have single combs.

When you cross a pea comb (Brahma) with a single comb, you often get chicks with big, blobby combs (some people call it a modified pea comb). The crossed birds usually have bigger wattles than the pea-comb parent, too.

OP's bird has a tidy comb, and the wattles aren't particularly big, so I think he's probably pure for the pea comb gene-- which means no parent with a single comb, thus no Cornish Cross parent. (Unless I'm wrong about him being pure for pea comb.)

Im hoping to breed him next year as he is a friendly and caring cockerel. But if he does have some kind of issue i might not. i may be overthinking this but just making sure he is okay.
That's how I would be thinking, too: figure out if he has a problem, then make final decisions about breeding.

What you've described (laying down & panting) doesn't sound like normal, healthy behavior to me. But I don't know enough to help figure it out-- I'm glad some other people are already helping with that :)

For the laying down/possible leg problem have you tried giving a course or two of poultry vitamin (particularly a B complex or one high in B vitamins) in case of a nutrient deficiency? Larger breeds tend to be more prone to deficiencies. As far as size goes he actually looks like the Brahmas I've seen from a local breeder who says they are from the "old lines". They look gigantic and much more broad compared to hatchery Brahmas. Did you happen to see pictures the breeders original stock for comparison by any chance?

That's how I would be thinking, too: figure out if he has a problem, then make final decisions about breeding.

What you've described (laying down & panting) doesn't sound like normal, healthy behavior to me. But I don't know enough to help figure it out-- I'm glad some other people are already helping with that :)
Yeah im rethinking about breeding him, even if i breed him if this continues he might now have much energy to fertilize all the eggs, spending most of his days laying down.
For the laying down/possible leg problem have you tried giving a course or two of poultry vitamin (particularly a B complex or one high in B vitamins) in case of a nutrient deficiency? Larger breeds tend to be more prone to deficiencies. As far as size goes he actually looks like the Brahmas I've seen from a local breeder who says they are from the "old lines". They look gigantic and much more broad compared to hatchery Brahmas. Did you happen to see pictures the breeders original stock for comparison by any chance?
No i haven't, but i did feed niacin to my ducks. I might try getting him some vitamins for him. Would it be okay for the other chickens to get to the extra vitamins too? As you know how a cockerel is, he likes to share.

i did get some pics of the roo they had.
6F1C466D-DEC1-4201-9707-378648BB1751.jpeg
B2688611-9C24-40CE-BA89-3D1CF0D2CBE0.jpeg

Got some poultry b complex vitamins. Its in pill form. It says i could just give the pill to the chicken or give it in drink form. Would giving it in the drink be okay for the other chickens?

Got some poultry b complex vitamins. Its in pill form. It says i could just give the pill to the chicken or give it in drink form. Would giving it in the drink be okay for the other chickens?
The vitamins are probably safe for all the chickens.

You could put out one waterer with the vitamins, and one with plain water, and let them choose.

You can give poultry vitamins to the other chickens as well just following the manufacturer dosage and time guidelines. You could start by adding it to their water and see if it makes a difference. However, if it is a deficiency he still might need it given directly orally as putting it in the water will greatly dilute the amount he actually receives. That's a big rooster and definitely seems to have passed on those broad breasted and thick genes!

The vitamins are probably safe for all the chickens.

You could put out one waterer with the vitamins, and one with plain water, and let them choose.
You can give poultry vitamins to the other chickens as well just following the manufacturer dosage and time guidelines. You could start by adding it to their water and see if it makes a difference. However, if it is a deficiency he still might need it given directly orally as putting it in the water will greatly dilute the amount he actually receives. That's a big rooster and definitely seems to have passed on those broad breasted and thick genes!
sorry just got back home after being out of town. And was continuing the coop build, diluted the vitamins in the drinks. Hoping he will improve!

Back
Top Bottom