Lazy Peachick

Any vet that went to vet school and has a microscope can do fecals. Doesn't matter what animals they treat, poop is poop, lol.

-Kathy

Well I dunno if there are cultural issues involved. But also am wondering how often large animal vets run fecals... I just always shoved wormer in there and never troubled the vet with it
lau.gif

I'm thinking Othman may have to persuade a vet to do it if he's ever going to get a vet to run fecals, so looking for arguments he can use on the vet, like, it's the same as ___________ (fill in dog/cat/horse/camel/parrot/racing pigeon) poo.

Othman, I'm sorry your efforts to provide great quality medical care to your peas is running into difficulty in this area. But you are doing a great job caring for them
clap.gif

If a vet smears fecal matter on a slide I don't think that they will see anything except developed worms. A fecal float where the poo is thinned and the eggs float to the top and then put on a glass slide for viewing is the only way to actually see the eggs. I believe that is also the only way you will see cocci.

Can Peafowl get mareks? Mareks birds will become absolutely infested with worms of all kinds and will bounce back after treatment but then go downhill again as the illness progresses. I had a turkey come down with mareks, so I'm assuming that peafowl are the same- they usually don't get it but they can. the yellow fecal reminds me of liver damage from mareks and the black might be indicative or pancreatic issues. or the bird might just have worms. Lets not forget about tapes. Fenbendazole and albendazole are great for just about everything else, but praziquantel is still the only sure thing with those nasty helminths.

After reading the thread so far, I would have gone with sulfadimethoxazine and fenbendazole first. Then if no improvement, I would have gone with baytril but baytril should only be given to birds orally, the acidity in the stomach helps to increase its activity.

I would make sure that your vet is rotating dewormers. Giving the same dewormer- especially if its ivermectin- creates resistance in the parasite population.

My favorite treatments for coccidia are toltrazuril and sulfadimethoxazine- as far as I'm concerned, giving them amprolium is like giving them sugar water.

The two sick ones don't need the Sulfa, they need chevi-kok, Baytril, and metronidazole. No sulfa for the two. :D

-Kathy

Great! So did i need to give the second bird Baytril too?

Two days ago, no, but now he's losing weight and his poop looks bad, so now it might be needed.

-Kathy

@q8peafowl , I must say that you have done a fabulous job in getting the proper meds for your bird and that you should be proud of the care you're able to give all your birds...

-Kathy

Garden peas
Kathy
zazouse
enola
trefoil
rbaker0354
  • Augeredlnbirdbrain
  • Kskingbee

Whatever will happen tomorrow i still appreciate every single word you wrote for me on this thread, of course big credits goes for Garden peas and Kathy, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom