Leaking Nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chandra Prater, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Chandra Prater

Chandra Prater Out Of The Brooder

We have a PVC pipe waterer for our birds and it seems like some of the nipples are leaking. Do you often have to change out nipples on your waterers? Or do DIY waterers only have a limited lifespan? Don't get me wrong, we built it well, but chickens are super destructive. Do you have a favorite brand of chicken nipples?

P.S.: I am still a 12-year-old on the inside and can't stop giggling as I type this.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I started giggling as soon as I read the title :/

I don't have nipples though so I can't help :p

cha0ticBeth and BantyChooks like this.
  3. coopdeville15

coopdeville15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Abita Springs, LA
    Sometimes they will leak if there is debris in the system. Sometimes just jiggling the pin will clear the debris and the leaking will stop.

cha0ticBeth and Chandra Prater like this.
  4. Chandra Prater

Definitely trying that tonight! Thanks!

5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
  6. katieuppi

katieuppi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    A fair amount of water gets thrown out on the ground when they use the nipples. The container has to be straight up and down, not tilted at all. I bought 25 nipples for $3 on Amazon which allowed me to make small bottles for the brooder and several buckets now that they are bigger. This way I have extras to trade out of I need to, too.

7. Chandra Prater

katieuppie, we definitely have more of them-- I think you and I may have even bought the same pack from Amazon. I have seen these drip so I know it's not just the chickens being messy. Right now, we are using the smaller, screw-on kind of waterers and lots of shallow pans (it's been very hot so we make sure to have a lot of pie pans full of ice available for cold water or a place to cool their feet). I think we're going to have to scrap them, though. I doubt they are hanging straight downward.

8. Annjee

Annjee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa
    Hey guys, just noticed this thread and I wanted to let you know that the ones I ordered 3 years ago still don't drip. I use them outside throughout the year and in the brooders too.

They are Horizontal Chicken Nipples, sold by Columbus Aqua. It says that water won't stay inside and therefore are safe from freezing.

9. Chandra Prater

Anjee, I think I am going to try horizontal nipples after the summer is over. Everyone seems to have high praise for them.

Annjee likes this.
  10. DLE140

DLE140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Pa
    I also use the Columbus aqua horizontal nipples. No leaking at all. Very happy with them so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by