Leaky waterer

Sarahdive

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
We had a couple gallon plastic waterer hanging in the coop which seemed to work really well at first. Now it seems to be leaking from the bottom? Is there a better waterer for hanging??
or should I be setting the waterer on something instead?

We had a couple gallon plastic waterer hanging in the coop which seemed to work really well at first. Now it seems to be leaking from the bottom? Is there a better waterer for hanging??
or should I be setting the waterer on something instead?
Are they cracked on the bottom? Or are they just sloshing water when they rough house around it?

My 3 gallon heated waterer is supposed to hang, but I put it on a cement block instead. No real reason other than being easier for me. I only use that in the coop in the winter. My other 3 gallon hung outside until I broke it. My new one isn't made to hang. I just make sure it's on a level block. I don't keep water in the coop in the summer since they spend most of their time outside and have free access to it 24/7. I also have other 1 gallon ones scattered around in their area.

Are they cracked on the bottom? Or are they just sloshing water when they rough house around it?

My 3 gallon heated waterer is supposed to hang, but I put it on a cement block instead. No real reason other than being easier for me. I only use that in the coop in the winter. My other 3 gallon hung outside until I broke it. My new one isn't made to hang. I just make sure it's on a level block. I don't keep water in the coop in the summer since they spend most of their time outside and have free access to it 24/7. I also have other 1 gallon ones scattered around in their area.
I can’t see any cracks anywhere…maybe it isn’t sealing properly anymore (it’s the one that you turn upside down to fill) we are still building the run area so they are in the coop when we aren’t home so I need to have water in there during the day but I don’t want to come home to a soggy coop

I can’t see any cracks anywhere…maybe it isn’t sealing properly anymore (it’s the one that you turn upside down to fill) we are still building the run area so they are in the coop when we aren’t home so I need to have water in there during the day but I don’t want to come home to a soggy coop
I had it in the coop for a while today sitting on a block when the chickens were outside to test out what was wrong with it and it was still leaking?

I had it in the coop for a while today sitting on a block when the chickens were outside to test out what was wrong with it and it was still leaking?
Where is it leaking, can you tell? Is it over the side? That usually means it isn't level, but if its hanging, that shouldn't be an issue. If it isn't seated correctly, it won't form a vacuum. Are there arrows on it saying what direction to turn the bottom? Can you post a picture? I may not see it tonight, 430 am comes early, but I can provide feedback tomorrow if someone else doesn't chime in first.

Where is it leaking, can you tell? Is it over the side? That usually means it isn't level, but if its hanging, that shouldn't be an issue. If it isn't seated correctly, it won't form a vacuum. Are there arrows on it saying what direction to turn the bottom? Can you post a picture? I may not see it tonight, 430 am comes early, but I can provide feedback tomorrow if someone else doesn't chime in first.
It seems to be leaking from the bottom? Too dark to take a picture now but will try tomorrow. Thanks!

I have found that hanging waterers leak whenever they are not level. I keep cinder blocks under mine for added support.
I tried supporting it from the bottom today and still leaking :( it didn’t leak for a few weeks so I’m wondering if something happened to it from hanging it while not supported?

Is it a metal or plastic waterer? It's probably out of round and not creating a vacuum anymore. Most waterers like that should not be hung and need to sit flat and level to work.

Back
Top Bottom