learn me about red goldens and goldens please.

shawnkfl

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
christiansburg, VA
at what age can you tell the males from the females? i know the eye color is the first clue, but when does it start to change?

next ?....if a red golden male mates a golden female or vice/versa, what will the offspring be?

At 4 or 5 weeks you should see a teardrop shaped bald spot under the eye on males and shortly after hens get brown eyes.As for mating a Red Golden with a Golden they are one in the same unless you meant Red Golden to a Yellow Golden!

that's what i meant. a red golden to a yellow golden or vice versa. i know they are the same species but if bred that way, would you get reds and yellows or a variation? the reason i ask is because i hve two of each, but i don't know if they are male or female. if i end up with one male, i will breed them all together if i won't get some crazy mutation.

They are not the same species.Red is a red yellow is a yellow.Yes they are both goldens.Th red golden is the only true breed golden, the yellow is a mutation that was bred by prof Gigi,thus giving it the name gigi yellow golden.It will throw pied you will not get red and yellows.Seperate them and breed them red to red and yellow to yellow.There are to many mixed breeds around.Each year of cross breeding wipes out 7 years of pure birds.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom