Leash training

After over 20 years of training dogs, I have found that the more dogs I train and the more time goes by the less force and correction I use in my training. Katie has been corrected nearly NONE. I begin puppies now with NO collar or lead and teach them to follow along with me using praise, food, and marking with the clicker and then once they have learned I add the collar and leash.
It is my personal opinion that it is not fair to use force or inflict pain on a dog who does not clearly understand what he is being asked to do. I NEVER use force, correction, scolding etc, when I am teaching a dog something new. This includes corrections with any sort of collar. I simply don't find it necessary to get what I want from the dog. And what I want is sharp precise obedience given to me with the utmost of willingness and attitude.
big_smile.png
Spot on
smile.png

I wouldn't use a choke collar on a puppy, but I think an adult dog who has never been trained on leash is different.

Of course the safety of the dog in question is paramount. If the dog is not in a safely fenced area, one must make sure it cannot escape and have harm befall it as a result. Often the safest equipment in this situation is a slip collar and lead. If given options, I would opt not to do this.

With ANY choice in the matter, I will not attempt to train ANY dog of ANY age using force. Don't get me wrong. I have an upstanding breed, they DO respect me, and my word is law. However, as I have stated above, over time, I have found other ways of impressing this on my dogs other than using force or coercion. I do use slip collars, both in the show ring, in the obedience ring, and when out walking or training my dogs. I guess the difference is my dogs walk on a loose leash, and they are NEVER choking themselves on these collars.

I should state that I do speak from a certain level of experience having trained multiple High In Trial dogs, and a number of Champion show dogs. :D

I'll admit, there might be better ways. But does it count as force if you just give a quick snap of the leash? As in, not tugging? I suppose everyone has a different definition of force.
idunno.gif

Each dog is different...I was a dog walker as a profession, trained dogs, volunteered at local shelters. Some dogs need correction because a human in most cases let a situation get out of hand. I've seen choke and prong collars used by skilled professionals with results in one session, without causing the dog any intense pain. The purpose of proper correction and getting an animal under control is to keep them out of harms way. Do what works for you...a few simple things as you got tons of advice here
You know your dogs best. Gentle leaders are awesome, so are harnesses..you have puppies and this is the time to train. Make sure they know your boss...you are the leader and they should be following you. Some people exercise dogs heavily before they put the leash/collar on because your pups will be more relaxed and pay more attention to you as the leader. It also kills off some of that puppy energy so they don't demonstrate other bad habits like jumping or circling or tying up the leash etc. I do agree that for beginners you o not use retractables...the noise can scare some dogs if they run suddenly. Walking in the house is great for puppies to get used to leashes being on them. Lightweight leads are good. Most importantly...persistence routine and praise. When you walk dogs for a living you get to know how people teach their dogs bad habits....so try to imprint good habits now...keep them on the inner side of the road, ignore other animals you pass, walk them around objects ...these are simple things to do now that will make walking your babies easy for you and even better for anyone who helps you out. If your dogs a pleasure to walk...people will constantly offer to take them.i have two rescues..both of whom are sweethearts on the leash, they don't even need a leash to walk, but I would never let them out of the house without that protection or safeguard. Best wishes :) you have two cuties :)

Okay, I need some more training help- chewing. Shoes, clothes, whatever they can get their little teeth on. They are outside, so they are left alone for short periods of time sometimes. It's more playful chewing than anything, I think.

Back
Top Bottom