Leash training

Fly 2006, when we bring a dog into our lives, we are messing with their natural instinct. Meaning, in a way, WE have to go out of our to make them comfortable. That doesn't mean spoiling them, it means taking charge and being their LEADER. Call it what you will, they either see you as their leader or their chew toy.

badkittyamy, I agree. No matter what you do, it won't work without consistency.

You seem to have got the inpression that I spoil my dog? This is not so, although again it depends on the individuals view of what spoiling is
smile.png
My dog is very much a dog in the sense that although she lives indoors, lies next to me on the sofa and has half an hour on my bed in the morning, she only gets to do those things if it is done with respect to me, if she is being fussy, I just have to say "enough" and she moves away, she is in no way possesive about anything and does as she is told, she has a lovely muddy, wet walk in the forest every day come rain or shine and she loves to swim, she is obedient and happy because she knows exactly what is expected of her, she came from a rescue along with a whole bunch of issues and I consider we have come a very long way together and taught each other a lot.
thumbsup.gif

Lol, I wasn't aiming that at you. It sounds like your dogs do respect you and see you as boss. I was just saying that because there are so many people that treat their dogs like 3 year old kids and it gets on my nerves.
roll.png

Kiera, the black and white puppy, seems to have a sore ear. There is no visible sign of injury, and I haven't figured what I do when I touch it to make it hurt. No sign of infection or mites. Is it possible that it hurts because Iona (other puppy) bit it too hard once and made it sore? Any ideas would really be appreciated, just want to make sure she isn't dying of some horrible and rare disease

Last edited:
It could very well be that something is stuck deep inside the ear canal & you can't see it. My dog didn't shake her head when this happened to her but cried when I rubbed the base of her ear firmly.

fowl farm,

I’m reading a new dog book and came across a description of early puppy hierarchy development. I thought these snippets were interesting relative your puppy issues:

“Animals and children do have a strong tendency to assert their dominance, and it has been suggested that through play-fighting young animals learn whom they are subordinate to and whom that dominate, without inflicting severe physical injuries on each other. By four months of age, a litter of pups has a relatively stable dominance hierarchy: aggression is now reduced to ritualized displays of domination and subordination, with only occasional outbursts of actual fighting. …

Aggression will be reduced in the group once each member knows its place. When a member is removed from the group or a new individual is introduced, fighting often occurs. This is because the aggression controlling status hierarchy has been disrupted.”

Understanding Your Dog, Dr. Michael W. Fox

Jim

Last edited:
How do you deal with a chicken killing dog? Iona didn't actually kill the chicken, but was instead found eating it alive. My question is, does tying a chicken around the dogs neck actually work? I don't want responses about animal cruelty, please. I just want to know if it does or doesn't work. Or what does work.

Back
Top Bottom