Leaving the coop door open or closed at night?

trailrider20

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
I have never really closed my chickens in at night. They just go inside the coop by themselves in the evening but the door is always open. Does anybody else do this? I have a predator proof run. Thanks.

I would only if I had hardware cloth for the run. I have welded wire, so I don't leave it open due to weasles. I've read weasles can get through openings of a 1 inch space. I lock my girls up every night.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. my coop/run is predator proof (so far) and last night at 11pm, hubby had to walk me out there to close and lock the pop door (I am afraid of the dark. really. not kidding.) If the girls are in the coop at night and the run is sealed like fort knox, do we really need to be out there each night?
hide.gif

If you are 100% sure the run is safe then leave it open. I'm very paranoid about preds., so I close mine and the run doors. I feel the harder something has to work to reach my chickens, the safer they are. One little slip up and the varmints seem to know it

Luckily we are in a area with no predators so we have been keeping the door open as the run is secure. But, before winter sets in I want to get a motor to make the door open and close automatically. Not only will it help keep the drafts out, but also any rodents or pests that are looking for a warm place and food .

I should add that I live in a pretty moderate climate so we dont ever get too cold at night and my coop is part of a well house so it stays fairly warm in there even with the little coop door open.

Back
Top Bottom