Leg band advice

I use the ABA seamless bands. Each year is a different color, so you know which year your bird is from at a glance. They are also all numbered, so you can tell the individual birds apart. Being seamless, once you put them on and the birds grow into them, there is no way for them to accidentally slip back off, either.

I’m curious too. A few weeks ago went to a poultry show and there were a few vendors. They had many choices from zip ties to metal. Wing bands of various styles too. Since I didn’t know what I wanted to use, I didn’t get anything as they all seem to have pros/cons.

planning to go to the Ohio Nationals this year as a visitor, and I know there will be vendors there, so was going to look into my options before going there.

I started with the colored hard plastic leg bands but switched to zip ties. And like everything there are pros and cons to all the different methods and materials.

To me, part of the question is what information are you trying to get. Why are you marking them to start with? Pyxis uses different colors to mark the year. And bands with numbers on them to identify individuals. I also use colors to mark the year they hatch, but that is with a zip tie on the left leg. I identify individuals by using different colors and color combinations on the right leg, but I don't have that many to identify. I can identify individuals when they are walking around, not sure if Pyxis has to catch them to read the numbers. Each chicken having a specific number probably makes record keeping easier. I have not used wing bands or some types of leg bands so no experience with those.

I had two issues with the hard plastic bands. They are a certain size and they do not stretch so you have to get the right size. Different breeds need different sizes. Hens and roosters of the same breed can use different sizes. Juveniles need smaller sizes. They typically sell these bands in bags of one color and one size. You may need to buy several different bags. With zip ties, I just tighten them up enough to work so essentially one size can be made to fit all.

The other issue is that with my arthritic fingers it's kind of hard to put them on and take them off. If you have nimble youthful fingers that may not be as hard. I find it easier to put the zip ties on and I use wire cutters to cut them off when necessary.

Neither one of them stretch so you need to check to make sure the legs are not growing thicker where you need to change them out.

I don't know which method is best for you. Obviously there is a market for all of them so they all can work.

We have leg bands because my daughter thinks they are cute
upload_2019-10-14_14-21-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-14_14-21-42.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-14_14-21-42.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 1
I have 6 of the same breed so we used the colored spiral bands to tell them apart when they were younger. When they got tight it was such a pain to change them I switched to zip ties. I should have just used them in the first place they are so much easier and so many different colors.

Back
Top Bottom