1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Leg bands- does anyone use them??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nccatnip, Oct 7, 2007.

1. nccatnip

nccatnip Songster

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Thoughts anyone, please.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would use them if I had many of the same breed and couldn't tell them apart.
    I don't have that problem... YET! [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I use Zip Ties that come in different colors. They have some really small ones I use for the babies. Be careful to take them off and add larger ones as they grow.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG] I didn't even think about that, and I have them in 10 different colors!

5. Kristenschickens

Kristenschickens Hatching

Sep 19, 2007
    West Michigan
    Hi! This is my first-ever post. I have been learning a lot from you all since May. I am planning on using leg bands, just haven't ordered them yet. I have 8 Isa Browns, 7 Ameracaunas and a RIR. I plan to use the plastic bandettes from www.poultrymansupply.com. My girls are 21 weeks old. Some of them are laying, I just don't know which ones! (hense, the legbands....) Could you please tell me what DH means in some people's posts? Thanks....Kristen

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've been using colored velcro bands I got the in fabric dept of WallyWorld. They work pretty good,though 2 of my RRI's managed to get theirs off. Thinking of trying the zip ties. Color comes in handy when you have a bunch all the same color

7. kstaven

kstaven Crowing Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I use colored and numbered bandettes. That way if a chicken is ranging and gets it caught it pops off. They are reusable too. Zip straps scare me now after having several chickens with injuries.

8. Hi Kristenschickens, I use a purple spray instead of bands!!!
    DH stands for "dear husband, dear heart or dearhottemperedpaininthebutthubby!!!

9. barg

barg Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    I had just asked this question recently myself.
    [​IMG]
    Mrs.Nezbit on the left and Emerald on the right.
    When they got older it was impossible to tell them apart, so Emerald got a zip tie, as per suggestions I got here.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  10. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Songster

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    The zip tie is a good Idea. I like it better than the velcro idea. THese will stay on a lot better. A guy here in town who wns a chicken farm knows where to get poultry leg band s at really good deals. He gave me the web adress here a few months ago, but like everything else I lost it. I am going to see if I can get it from him again tomarrow. I also need leg bands for showing identification, so if/when I get the adress I will post it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: