Leg bands

I would definetly not use elastic... if its too small at any point, it will put pressure on the leg, perhaps cutting off blood. Besides if/when they pick off those flimsy elastics and eat them... which they will. Chickens can't help but eat everything they can.

The clip on ones look/sound too small to me, for standard sized chickens. I like the zip type as you can make them the correct size for your bird no matter what. And if your birds are young and still growing, you just keep an eye on it and change it out for a bigger one if/when they get too small.

I would not use the elastics. Much more risk of injury/swallowing. I zip tied my chicks soon after hatching so I could track the shipped chicks. Simply place the zip loose enough that it won't slip back off over the foot. Monitor, and change out before it gets tight. I use a pair of pointed end nippers to clip the ends and remove the zips when changing them. Walmart has neon colored 4" zips for around 1.50/pk. They get used to them very quickly.

I'm going to buy these: https://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Cable-..._rd_wg=Gg9J5&refRID=C2RJ1EGZBDYGAVECYGZ4&th=1

The 4" should be good right?

Yes, you put the pointy end in the flat side of the square end and pull until it's the right size (it's one way so if it doesn't go in and click then just flip it the other way). Just make sure you don't pull it too tight b/c it can and will cut off circulation. I used a TON of these to build my run. They're very strong and need to be cut off. You'll need to take pair of scissors or wire cutters with you when you're putting them on to cut off the end.

I am cheap and use colored bread ties. Do not use zip ties. Even if they have not grown too tight on the chicken, they are still very annoying for them.

Be careful with leg bands that they don't become too tight or work their way up the chicken's leg and restrict movement. It can be months before this is noticed and can cause injury and a lot of pain for your birds. Always check to make sure they are comfortable and not too tight.

Back
Top Bottom