Leg injury completely numb from elbow down

The way your describing her walking with curled toes and dragging her knuckles is exactly how mine is walking now. I feel bad crating her when I open the door to feed her treats she tried to get out. Same with the young rooster when I crate him he stands at the door waiting to get out. He usually doesn’t like being picked up. But when my son open the door yesterday he just stood there and let him pick him up to get out. They look pathetic. Just not sure want to do with these 2 they can’t both be out together unless I’m watching. The young rooster is at the bottom of the pecking order so the other hens peck at him and he runs off. He only got along with my limping hen cuz they hatched at the same time and were raised together. But she has become his target now he is maturing and she is limping.

So if I build them another pen/coop will this be permanent or temporarily? Once he is past his adolescent stage will I be able to put them all together again?

She is worse today. Last night and this morning she was the same. Then when I got home today she had not moved from the same spot in the run. Luckily we had a nice sunny day today. I had to clean her off she had poo on her. She is really off balance. Not sure if the other leg is giving out or what. But she tries to stand and then starts to tip and just lays down. She still wants to eat and drink. She still has the will to live. I took the young rooster out and put her in the crate now. I put the food and water on the floor it was hanging but she can’t stand to reach it. What do you do for water when they are like this? I think I’ll have to change the water a lot when she tries to move the litter gets in when it’s on the floor.

Is it best to leave her outside or bring her inside? I have room in my basement. That’s usually where I put sick chickens. It’s getting cold here. Suppose to start snowing on Monday. But I thought in a crate in the coop she can still see the others and they see her. But will the cold effect her recovery? Tonight I put my little hen in with her that seems to always get picked on and tries to sleeps alone. So they are cuddled up next to other. In the morning I’ll let the little one out. But that way she has a companion at night to keep her warm.

So I made 2 different slings today and she managed to get out of both. And both times her one leg was still stuck in a hole just twisted in there. So I don’t know what to do. She might just break a leg now getting out because she has no feeling in it. I’ve been searching online and can’t find what I’m doing wrong with these slings. I spent hours on getting them hanging just right and she still gets out

Update: this morning I went out and she was laying on her side I thought she was dead. She is still breathing but her eyes are closed. I think she is dying. She was eating and looked normal yesterday. I’m carrying her around. Her neck looks like in a weird position. She tried to stretch it and moves her 1 foot some. But her eyes hardly open. Im holding her till I have to go to work. She randomly stretches her neck and shakes it a bit. I’ll give her today and see how she is when I get home. But I’m guessing she is not going to make it.

I too am very sorry. I know how heart breaking it is but you gave her the best shot and sadly it was not to be. Would you consider sending her for a necropsy?
Hi I know this is an old post but I don’t know how to get in contact with you. I was wondering if you had some advise on another sick chicken I have that seems like Mareks. She had a limp about a week ago but was acting fine. The limp is gone but now she is completely lethargic. I brought her inside and now she has lost interest in food. I started giving her water and some yogurt by syringe. Any suggestions what I can do for her? I know you have had some chickens recover from this.

Back
Top Bottom