Leg mites!??!?!!?

Silkie_Lover1

Songster
Jun 14, 2018
Hanahan ,SC
I was washing one of my silkies and noticed her feet look like this. what do I do?
IMG_20190427_104656.jpg

Probably scaly leg mites- not to worry, they are quite treatable. You will need to get some mite killer (available at TSC or online) and follow the directions on the bottle. Best of luck!

Those look like standard scales to me. What is the age of the bird?

Standard mite treatment is considered ineffective for scaly leg mites.

When I took one of my hens to the vet, who is an avian guy... he said SLM would look like fingernail growth coming out from under the scale where the poo and stuff builds up from the SLM.

If you do decide to treat... many simply use Vaseline, Crisco or other viscous substance... slathered on the legs two nights in row... suffocates them as they may never come to the surface to get in contact with most surface applications.

Ivermectin is also effective against SLM but is not approved for use in chickens as studies have not been conducted to determine egg withdrawal times. Many here use it.

ETA: I would expect to see more feather issues from over preening IF it were indeed SLM. But I am always learning. :fl

Looks like Scaly Leg Mite.
I use Vaseline 75% and Betadine 25% mixed together.
Take the chicken off the perch at night and smother the legs in the mixture above.
Do this for three nights in a row. Leave for a week and do it again for three nights.
The leg scales will not look normal again until the old ones grow out and the new ones grow in. This can take many months.

My silkies don't use there roost at night and does it have to be done at night?
No, it doesn't have to be done at night. The advantage of doing it at night, if they use roosts, is they don't get stuff stuck to their legs so easily. You can do it during the day but their legs will get a bit grubby.
An alternative that may prove better for you given what you've written above is to buy some Rubbing Alcohol. Find a deep container and part fill it with the alcohol. Stand your chicken in the container for 15 seconds or more making sure the legs are submerged in the alcohol.
This is probably the best method there is even though it sounds a bit strange. Both the methods I've mentioned rely on depriving the mites of air. Imo both methods are better than administering drugs of any sort, both work well and are cheap.

My silkies don't use there roost at night and does it have to be done at night?
It's easier for most people to do it at night so they don't have to chase birds. Do it when it works for you. And treat all your birds if you are going to.

I wouldn't and think lot's of people don't realize that the scales on chicken legs are just like skin in that they get dry sometimes and flake off to be replaced by perfectly good ones waiting underneath. Also, the edges of the scales have to be able to bend at toe locations...

I have never YET seen leg/foot feathers looking that good on a birds legs with SLM. The treatment isn't harmful so I mean if it makes you feel better then by all means do it.

Back
Top Bottom