Leg mites

paperdragonfarm

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Albany
I was talking to an old timer type chicken friend of mine..err...human friend who is older and has chickens...about how she deals with various problems with out the benefits of modern medicine. Scaly leg mites came up and this is what she did, has any one heard of it/used it? It worked for her, but just because it works doesn't mean it's a good idea..

Start by washing the chickens feet and legs to remove debris, then let them soak for a while in clean warm water. Dry off birds. After dry take big rubber band and put around top of their legs, then carefully dip legs in warm beeswax, or paraffin if there isn't enough bee surplus.. Not liquid hot, just on the watery side of tacky. Let the wax cool until hard, then leave it on for 3-5 minutes. Peel off wax and behold stuck/suffocated bugs! Apply mineral oil to sooth any irritation and re-do as needed until wigglers are kaput. Make sure to clean out chicken run and house etc really good and sprinkle with liberal amount of DE. Thoughts?

I never heard of the beeswax treatment. It sounds like it would work. I'd be too afraid to get it too hot though, possibly burning their legs. It would be my luck.Try using Nu-Stock topical treatment, all natural. I've read that will clear them up quick. Use sevin dust in your coop, redust in 10 days.

I was worried about that too. She said she stuck her own finger in before each bird. I keep hearing about the wonders of sevin dust. We're organic over here so I don't know how it'll fly with the rest of the Big flock. But it's worth at least looking into.

Back
Top Bottom