Leg paralysis in hen-sudden onset

Yes, although they ALSO have free choice oyster shell and free range of 2.25 acres of woodland and grass/alfalfa pasture. Why do you ask?

BTW, the hen is doing much better. She is out and about with her sisters and just limping on one leg now, as if it were asleep.

Your hens need layers food.

This could be the onset of a nutrition deficiency that has only showed visible signs in 1 of your hens.
If I were you, I'd start feeding layers food and offer the scratch only as a treat.

I'm glad she's doing better. The reason I asked, is because scratch isn't a complete diet and I wondered if she might be short on protein or some of the vitamins or minerals that are added to a complete layer ration.

Our leghorn is doing better too. She laid in the cage for three days not using her legs at all. Yesterday I noticed that she was sitting up a little and walking around on her "elbows" instead of her wings. This morning she was standing up in the cage so I let her out in the yard for a little bit. She was able to walk around, but was a little wobbly at first.

I think it was a mineral deficiency. Although we have layer pellets available, this one rarely eats the layer pellets, preferring scratch, grass, and rooting around in the compost pile. I fed her scrambled eggs and layer pellets ground up with a splash of milk and she seems to be doing much better.

Hi Im Nikkians Im new! Im having similar problems with mw fav roo too. He is a rescued fighting chicken I've had him over a year and about a month ago he started hopping on 1 foot and all of a sudden 6 days ago he cannot get up at all. He eats great, drinks, crows, but cant get up! We cant figure out whats wrong, and wonder if he needs put down- any advice!! Thanks

I noticed my 7 month barred rock had a bit of a limp about a week ago and I tried to prevent her from straining herself by not letting her roam the garden. Two days ago I decided to just let her roam as she wasn't improving. This morning I went to lift her out of the henhouse so she wouldn't hurt herself coming down the ramp and she can't seem to stand... just pulls herself along and flaps her wings. She eats layer feed and also organic chard or spinach with eggshells. If anyone could help me fix her I would be ever grateful. I love her so much.
smile.png

I have moved her inside so that I can watch her better. I have laid her on her back and massaged her legs and feet and she didn't appear to feel pain. She moved her feet and legs quite easily in this position until I sat her down and then she could not stand. There are no cuts or sore visable. Her poop is solid. I read online to feed her this:
2 to 4 tablespoons of layer pellets
2 tablespoons of yoghurt... not the sweet one with fruit in it .. the one with the active bacillus
2 tablespoons of grated apples and carrots.. must be grated not cut into chunks
1 small teaspoon of honey
1 boiled egg.. using only the yolk... crumble this into the mix

and she readily ate it. I am very worried about her. I am praying someone here can help me because she is my daughters chicken and she would be devastated if something happened to her. If anyone could help I would appreciate it very, very much!

This is a photo of Chiclet
42727_chicklet.jpg

We're having a similar problem. One of our 7-month-old New Hampshire Red hens was moving slowly two days ago. Last night I found her squatting, unable to move. Neither of her legs looked very reactive, but one was more paralyzed than the other. We isolated her and this morning both legs look equally paralyzed, bent underneath her with the two big toes stuck together, like when your hand loses circulation and the fingers stick together. I can't tell that she's eating or drinking (the food and water are right next to her). Her poop is green and runny.

I'm hoping this is a nutrition problem because we changed feed a few weeks ago and noticed that all the birds were eating more, but laying less. We just switched back to the old feed, so hopefully that solves her problem - fingers crossed!

I'm having the same problem with my Bard Rock. She got sick about a month ago and had a hard time moving around much. Her poop was very runny for a while. I decided to try chlortetracycline antibiotic. After that her poop turned very hard and she seemed constipated, but none of the other symptoms seemed to be going away. I did my best to help her get regular (warm bath in the kitchen sink, plain yogurt, shredded greens, etc) She doesn't seem to be constipated anymore, but she also is eating as far as I can tell. Just the other day I noticed that she had one of her legs curled up in a fist. She tries to walk on it but is not doing well. Most of the time she just stayes in the same place closing her eyes. I have no idea what to do now. This morning she is laying down instead of sitting. I fear she is almost gone and I feel helpless about it. I'm also worried that this will spread to my other 20 chickens. She is separated and has been since she got sick. Is there anything that I can do? Help please.

Back
Top Bottom