Legal Issues With Bonwhite Quail

Gsdhonaker

Hatching
Jun 13, 2018
My 12 year old son has begun using an incubator he got as a present. Someone gave him some Bob white quail eggs and they hatched really good. We live in Virginia. He wants to sell the quail he hatched and hatch some more. Should I be concern about any legal situations associated with selling a game bird such as Bob white quail? I can't find any answers, but noticed that the VGIF has a permit applications and Bob white quail was on it. But it isn't clear on if it's only for selling eggs, birds, or both and it's not clear if it's for individuals with a few or more towards hatcheries. Any info and help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get in trouble or discourage him from his love of incubating. Thanks.

My 12 year old son has begun using an incubator he got as a present. Someone gave him some Bob white quail eggs and they hatched really good. We live in Virginia. He wants to sell the quail he hatched and hatch some more. Should I be concern about any legal situations associated with selling a game bird such as Bob white quail? I can't find any answers, but noticed that the VGIF has a permit applications and Bob white quail was on it. But it isn't clear on if it's only for selling eggs, birds, or both and it's not clear if it's for individuals with a few or more towards hatcheries. Any info and help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get in trouble or discourage him from his love of incubating. Thanks.
Here in Wisconsin I have a game bird permit. Maybe ask the DNR or Fish and Wildlife services.

In Texas you are required to sell eggs or birds having a Class 2 (<1000 birds) gamebird Breeders permit. I have on it’s way from TPWD. Call your state fish and game and ask what permit/s are required to sell bobwhites.
Right now I can only donate or give away. By end of week I can sell.

Pardon the spelling....and obviously Im not a wildlife agent.

Each state will or may have different laws concerning possession, propgation, importing and or selling of Bobwhite Quail as it is considered a native in many states and in all states it is a creature of Wild-life status. Most agencies limit or restrict individuals from posessing wildlife (unless you pay for a annual license).

As a quick virgina web search I came up with this form which I am sure you will need to pursue.
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms-download/PERM/PERM-014.pdf
If that is the form you are refering to, then it states propogation (incubation and hatching) as well as selling. Its just $12.50 (for a year) so it isnt a big bite on the change purse to be lagit and legal. And with a 12 year old who will certainly want to brag about it (if they hopefully hatch) to the wrong persons/firends/etc? In your best interest.

(Just in case) That form was found on the website : https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/
and more accurately under the menu link of forms.
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms/

By all means the above are just forms, and there may be other forms as they relate to other rules, regs and guidlines (per situation and species), eg owning,hatching, raising,selling, importing... a widget.... wolly Mamoth elephants, moutain lions, monkeys, bobwhite, fish (which fall under classes of wild life or endagered) LOL.

The best thing to do is Call your local "Regional" wildlife office and inquire about any and all forms, additional rules/fees, etc. Its coming streight from the horses mouth so its concise, more accurate and from your end financialy safer; and they wont stear your wrong as its not thier first rodeo (hopefully). Just tell them your """"future wants and plans""""" to start incubate, hatch, raise, and sell bobwhites and youll probably have the paper in hand before the hatch.

Due to the nature of your situation, the severity of the matter might be a little more relaxed or overlooked, but in any event I would still investigate further if I were you before getting more eggs. Also be aware there may be other issues such as "import license" if the eggs are imported from another state (which is a no no unless you have the permit/approval). Most imports are only approved if the supplier is currently part of the (NPIP) program and has the current "active" NPIP number. Also be sure to ask them about that as well if needed.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms-download/PERM/PERM-025.pdf Since I dont know if Bobwhites are native or not (to virgina) then I also found this form which may or may not apply.

Like I said, its best to call them, they wont stear you wrong....its their job and most are good guys (until you get at ticket) lol. Just dont stick your (or your sons) foot in your mouth when talking....just to be safe.

Of last thought, you may have one more form (owernship) to consider, but Im betting its covered in the first form (buy, sell, etc). They will be sure to tell you as it means more $$ with every form.
Your lucky, mine was $61.00s

Last edited:

He probably be alright if you sell them to neighbors and people in your community. But in America you can pretty much sue anybody for anything. And unfortunately that means you probably have to get a lawyer to defend yourself even if you are 100% innocent.

If you're truly worried it's probably worth the time and money to go get the appropriate permits and approval. It might cost you a bit of money but it could be a great Life Learning lesson for your son.

If he's that interested I'd say do it! Kids these days are so busy playing video games scrolling on the internet and doing things that's not in their best interest. So the fact that hes so interested in something positive I would highly encourage it!!

Good luck!

I agree but there is still that possible snowball effect. Neigbor or freind tries to get the license, agency ask where the birds or eggs come from, they say a friend and now the agency is back dating and investigating the original source.

$12.50 plus the ink and time..another $10.00 if the incubator and eggs were gifted and come from out of state.. eeeh! For $22.50 I would just go all in lagit!
Heck at my annual total ($100 Prop, sell, import) its still better than a fine.

Back
Top Bottom