Leghorn crossed with Black Australorp?

zunruffled

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
I recently got this mixed breed hen from someone who couldn't give me any details about its parents, but who also raised Australorp chickens among other breeds. The big, floppy comb & the almost daily laying of big, white eggs makes me think Leghorn; the color is suggestive of Pearl Star Leghorn crossed with black Australorp?! Am I close to being right or not at all? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what cross this hen might be?

Attachments

• IMG_4153.JPG
    IMG_4153.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4148.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    964.1 KB · Views: 73
Welcome to BYC. :frow I thought that white egg laying was a recessive gene, but maybe I am wrong about that. I hope that someone who knows more about genetics hooks on, there are some really knowledgeable people on here that would know for sure.

That surprises me that they can't tell you the possibilities for parentage. Did they get those eggs from another farm of do they have hundreds of chickens? That seems odd to me.

If you didn't mention Australorps I would guess maybe an RIR with a black minorca. She is pretty. Her color looks like a black copper marans but white eggs would definitely mean not a bcm.
I guess my comment doesn't have a lot to offer. It's hard to know without knowing the possible breeds of the other chickens.

If you didn't mention Australorps I would guess maybe an RIR with a black minorca. She is pretty. Her color looks like a black copper marans but white eggs would definitely mean not a bcm.
I guess my comment doesn't have a lot to offer. It's hard to know without knowing the possible breeds of the other chickens.
I haven't considered neither the RIR nor the Minorca but, now that you've mentioned it, I can definitely see a resemblence to both.

Welcome to BYC. :frow I thought that white egg laying was a recessive gene, but maybe I am wrong about that. I hope that someone who knows more about genetics hooks on, there are some really knowledgeable people on here that would know for sure.

That surprises me that they can't tell you the possibilities for parentage. Did they get those eggs from another farm of do they have hundreds of chickens? That seems odd to me.
Hi Saveria - thank you for the welcome. It's common around here for neighbors/friends/relatives to swap eggs. He also did have lots of chickens of various breeds.

I belive that is a black sexlink, they mostly have a red patch on their front & black feathers like yours, with a leghorn comb. Our black sex links look just like yours with much smaller combs and they lay big brown eggs : )

Back
Top Bottom