Leghorn hen lays 2 eggs in 24hrs??

LynnGrigg

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Winston Salem, NC
John Robert with Maxin, Sophie & Lucille
JRandtheGirls2.jpg

I only recently purchased a white leghorn as a started pullet/hen. She flew the coop immediately and my dog snatched her tail feathers out. Her first egg for us was teeny-like a bantam egg. I assumed that she was just starting to lay or traumatized by the dog. Now she lays HUGE white eggs. She is positively the ONLY hen we have who lays white eggs. I've been told that hens cannot lay two eggs within a twenty four hour period but I checked for eggs on Wednesday evening 7:30pm-ish -NO white eggs and the flock was roosting. I checked on Thursday afternoon around 4:00 and she had laid two. I've had a leghorn before and that one did the same thing. They are awesome layers. Has anyone else had this experience?
-Lynn

Last edited:
ive not had that experience of a hen laying 2 eggs in 24 hours but i have read that its possible lucky you
big_smile.png
my 2 bantams layed small eggs when they first started to lay as they were bantams they were tiny and at first i didnt know that can happen when they first start to lay, and i thought i knew bantams eggs were smaller but i didnt think they were that small
big_smile.png

One day I found 9 eggs in our gold sex link's nesting boxes- and we only have 5 of them! And I was positive I'd collected them the day before, too. It hasn't happened again, however.

Lucky you!

Quote:
Thanks! I've been told several times it couldn't happen. I know she won't do it all the time but she dang sure did it yesterday:)-Lynn
"The Wedding of Ernesto & Perdita"rlgrigg
ernestowedding2.jpg

sorry for hijacking, but do you know any Grigg's around Charlotte/Gastonia? My sns 2nd grade teacher is a Grigg

Quote:
Hi there! - No, not to my knowledge. My husband's (Grigg) family is originally from Virginia/West Virginia and has family in California and New Mexico also. Funny though... his mom is a retired teacher here in Winston Salem. -Lynn

Well I believe you! I have a white leghorn and I am pretty regular about checking 2 to 3 times a day. There were a few days where I had checked the nests and collected and found one late in the day like 5 pm but went the next morning to find one laying in the run. I know it was her because she is the only white egg layer.

Back
Top Bottom