My White Leghorn Laying Down

Penpal

Songster
May 30, 2022
Michigan, U.S.A.
Blance, my white leghorn is 25 weeks old. She has not laid an egg yet. She lays down more than my Brahma hen, who is 20 weeks old. Is this cause for concern? She seems go walk around fine, acts like a healthy chicken, and eats well.

Do you have pictures? What are you feeding them?
Some chickens are lazier than others; if she's eating and drinking well with no issues pooping, clear eyes, no lice, and no drooping feathers then she's likely alright, but someone with Leghorn experience might be better prepared to answer that.

Last night she seemed to be worse. I gave them apple cider vinegar water, did Reiki and prayers. She is much better. Because she laid with one leg reaching back, I thought there might be a tummy issue, hence the vinegar.

I am concerned about the laying, but because of predators, I keep them inside quite a bit. They may need more light. They are going out more now. I have put a light on in the entry where they roost, so that may affect the egg laying.

Thank you.

Looking like they are doing splits is a sign of mareks. You might want to check that out.

Are they just inside the coop? And the coop has no windows? You want to make sure there is enough ventilation if they are living somewhere it is dark all the time. And yes, they need to be able to see the sun for their own rhythms. Shade won't affect that, though.

I don't think that ACV will hurt them, but I've never been convinced that it helps them either. It is better to just diagnose and then treat with something proven to work.

Thanks for replying.

I can't post a picture because she isn't doing it anymore. She hasn't been exposed to any chickens not mine, so I don't think it is Marek's. I am watching her, but she seems to be getting better and has not laid with the stretched leg today.

My livestock vet and his wife (my dog and cat vet) retired. He died a few weeks ago, so I can't even call for a quick hint.

As for the light, there is a roof over my porch, so the front door, though glass, doesn't let in much light. The light in the entry has been out for a while, but on Tuesday I climbed the ladder and replaced it with a 100 watt. I don't like climbing ladders at my age so I had been putting it off.

LaFleche, that is good to know. since they are covered with feathers I never thought about their sunshine needs for Vitamin D.

I killed a raccoon last week, so their time outside has increased. Still, I can only let them outside during specific times because there are other predators.

LaFleche, that is good to know. since they are covered with feathers I never thought about their sunshine needs for Vitamin D.

I killed a raccoon last week, so their time outside has increased. Still, I can only let them outside during specific times because there are other predators.
You could get a vitamin additive containing vit D3 for their drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom