Sit'n on the porch

Pics
Mine did that today, I had to stop and laugh when I was walking by. They all were deep in the dirt, all sprawled out, just laying there, It looked like they were sleeping in the dirt on their sides Lololo HAhahahah a real dirt nap
mine can lay in there with legs splayed open, sometimes one leg right up in the air. dirt everywhere, they look like they have been torn up dirt and feathers everywhere. SO many time I stop in shock thinking something attacked them, they look dismembered for how deep in the dirt they can dig themselves. Then they turn their lazy little heads my way and blink in pleasure. They love that like (I imagine) rich ladies in a mud bath. All that is missing is a martini next to them.

Hi! We have 4 white leghorns and they are my husband’s favorite. He loves them. In all honesty they are probably my favorite too, but they are also the “bad girls” of our flock. They fly over our yard fence into the brush (we’re on 18+ acres) and go scratching around and wondering off. We used to have 6 but 2 got killed by foxes we think during one of these outings. So even though they are a bit naughty, they are the friendliest and easiest to pick up. And of course the egg production can’t be beat! I wish we still had 6.

ps - I am so jealous of where you live and the landscape in your pics! I live in south TX and would kill for daytime temps like that. We are already in the 90s most days 🥵🥵🥵

I dont know, I was thinking that too, but their comb is so sensitive I dont want to try
Because they tuck their heads under their wing at night, I try not to put much on combs. There is also a lot of blood flow there as well and you don't want stuff getting easily into their blood stream.

Hi! We have 4 white leghorns and they are my husband’s favorite. He loves them. In all honesty they are probably my favorite too, but they are also the “bad girls” of our flock. They fly over our yard fence into the brush (we’re on 18+ acres) and go scratching around and wondering off. We used to have 6 but 2 got killed by foxes we think during one of these outings. So even though they are a bit naughty, they are the friendliest and easiest to pick up. And of course the egg production can’t be beat! I wish we still had 6.

ps - I am so jealous of where you live and the landscape in your pics! I live in south TX and would kill for daytime temps like that. We are already in the 90s most days 🥵🥵🥵
They truly are wonderful chickens.

Well, We have eagles, owls and hawks that would LOVE to have a chicken dinner- so we have chicken wire over the top of the coop.
I grew up in N.M. I totally understand sand storms, lighting, and HEAT.
I love the PNW, we lived in Oregon for 20yr's. We have been so blessed to find this place and retire here. We have been here 9 years.
the only thing about the desert I miss, the smell when it is about to rain, the chaparral bush smell!!

and how is that flock doing?
I have 5 little leghorns and 5 little brown hens. The brown ones are more assertive at getting snacks and treats. The leghorns don't like cold much so they like to huddle up more in the house on grey days (and gosh in the winter they want to hang around the heat lamp I put outside in a draft free place) so I take those opportunities to give them extra treats that the brown hens don't see because they are outside.

I have one LH whose egg shells are fragile lately, so I got some calcium citrate powder (I am not good at putting pills inside some little creature's mouth) and I added some to the food. The shells are coming back to normal. (there is a bowl of oyster shell calcium inside the house and one in the run) I will have to get brave and start checking vents this week. It seems so rude to be checking the vagina of another female, chicken or not. (yeah, I am over thinking their need for privacy) I was reading what happens when they have issues with soft shells breaking inside them, so I know I have to do it and figure out who it is that is soft-shelling-laying. They are so good at sneaking around and covering each other's eggs for a little egg-nap that I have a hard time telling who is laying which egg. I am too soft hearted, I leave eggs in over night so that they sleep on them. It is so cute to have them spread out like that, and they are so happy when they do it.

Their tender little hearts make mine all warm and happy. My spouse thinks I am nuts about the little girls. (but he understands me, and he is tender too) I literally go out at night sometimes to check on them through the henhouse window. Watch them sleeping... see who is walking around eating at night (the lowest order girls tend to eat when the others are asleep, so I leave food overnight.

Back
Top Bottom