Leghorn longevity

Hoosiercluck

Chirping
Sep 30, 2016
I love, love,love my white Leghorn, Shelley She is super friendly and was the first to start laying. She is 1 1/2 years old. We had a winter cold snap, and the girls fell into a cease fire, but now it is warming in the end of February, and she has not started back up. It has been 3-4 weeks. Is she done? or just waiting for warmer weather? The rest of flock is on the egg treadmill again.
Thanks for the help

As day length increases she should resume laying. A l.5 year old leghorn should have at least another good year of laying.
X2.
Your sweet Shelley is likely not "done" . She simply has not experienced enough daylight for her system to trigger a restart of production. Different hens respond to different levels of light.
The 2nd laying cycle is generally a hen's most productive because you have both the frequency and the size in the eggs. Almost all breeds experience a decline in overall quality and number of eggs in the 3rd and following cycles. This includes high production breeds such as the leghorn

good to know, as she has already been a stand out daily layer with large eggs, occasionally double yolks. She recently finished a molt too, and I know that is stress to system, so I am hopeful it will be soon as I associate egg production with a happy, healthy chicken.

Back
Top Bottom