Leghorn or what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SmokinChick, Jun 1, 2011.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I got these from TSC. They are 6 weeks old. I think they may be Leghorns but that is only a guess. The one larger one has dark spots on its wings and they are creamy colored.
    Any thoughts? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. paddy farrell

paddy farrell New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    hi my name is paddy farrell i just registered. i think your chicks are leghorn. but not expert. i have a 5 year old bantam called gloria. she was born in a wheelie bin on a very hot june day. she made the llocal and national newspapers. icalled her after gloria gaynor. i will survive song. last sunday she hatched out 9 bantam chicks, 3 polish crested and 6 peking. mum and family are doing fine. best regards to all you chick lovers out there. paddy.

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Whoa, the light ones look like red sexlink roos to me, esp the one with the red speckles... but TSC shouldn't be selling them! The darker red ones look like red sexlink pullets.

4. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Lots of people posting pics of ones that look like this from the store bins are: TetraTints, pullets, a new cross excellent egg layer

Hard to find pics of them because they are so new.

5. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    My chicks looked EXTREMELY similar to the white ones. If they are leghorns, they will grow out of it. I am not real sure what it is though. It may be they got in something or is it natural coloring?

6. Gallagherfarm

Gallagherfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I think the legs look too big at 6 weeks to be Leghorn. My Leghorns have really thin legs that are usually white or pink until they start laying. These are something else. I am no pro---but that's my opinion.

7. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=459940&p=1

See
    this link about Tetra Tints. Also search forum for more about them. Other people's chicks look just yours - cream color with a few darker spots. Only sold at TSC who get them from Mt Healthy hatchery. They are so new the hatchery doesn't even them listed on their site yet.

Someone emailed the hatchery and was told they are excellent layers of light brown eggs. No info on the parent birds - must be a secret cross.

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    With those combs I would say red sexlink roosters.

9. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Good info. Thanks.
    I read the link. I think I have TLs. The others are Red sex links. The chicks just got in the coop tonight so they were clean.

10. riverscape1

riverscape1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Smokinchick,
    Yours look just like my Ally that I've been trying to figure out! He was part of a K5 hatching project, so I don't think he could be a Tetra Tint. The eggs were unspecified from a local farm. His hatchmate that we also got is a Black Sex Link pullet, so I'm guessing he's a Red Sex Link Roo. He started as a very white chick so we thought he was a leghorn. He has the same yellow legs and a few black shafted tail feathers. He is getting alot of buff breast and back feathers this week. He has a very red comb and wattles are just beginning to show. He has been practicing crowing since just before 4 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by