Leghorn Roos

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Are they friendly? Will they attack me? Some people near me are giving them away and i want a roo. What do you guys think?

I think it really depends on the bird. As a breed they are supposed to be more flighty, but we have a friend who has a couple white leghorn roos that are lap boys, real cuddle roos. I am sure others will have stories the opposite way. I would ask the people why they are selling them and what their demeanor is. I am sure more experienced people will chime in.

Listen to miss_jayne! My leghorn Roo crowed ALL DAY and even ALL NIGHT long! Never ending.... He was very very tame as a youngster but when the hormones hit, well he was a little sneaky devil, but not too too bad.. I love my leghorn roo, but he went to a home to be a breeder...I miss him dearly.

I don't want a cuddle buddy. I want a boy who will protect the girls. I would prefer though that he didn't attack ME. Their getting rid of them because they don't want fertile eggs. Some people feel its like killing a chick. Its OK if he crows from dawn till dusk (and in the middle of the night if he feels the need). They free range on 2 acres. Also our neighbors roo's never quit so it doesn't make any difference. I have a banty roo who weighs all of 1.5 lbs and he is too small to 'service' the big girls. I need a bigger boy but not 1 so big he'll hurt my little 4lb Leghorn girl. I just want to know if they have an aggressive track record.

I had 3 leghorn roos, and they were all mean, especially to my kids...If my kids walked out of the house and the roos saw them, they would come charging after them. I will never own another leghorn roo....even the hens are aggressive to the other hens.

Quote:
that's what my husband ALWAYS says.
big_smile.png

I think i'll start another post about the best type of roo. I don't want a mean little bugger. No Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom