Leghorn?

stevin

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Dartmouth, Ma
does he look like a leghorn? he was hatched in April, so he's approx 4 months old. i don't think he is but i would like some opinions....thanx

Last edited:
i'll ask the owner to send me a side shot. but i was leaning towards a white rock also. she's looking to give him away for free and i've been looking for a white leghorn rooster.

Noooo not a Leghorn at all. It's a Rock. Wrong color ears, wrong body-type, and that comb would be outta-control tall by now if he was a Leghorn. Sorry :(

I also have two "Leghorn" pullets that I just recently purchased from a fellow Facebooker, turns out I also knew the guy from Lowe's because for the strangest reason, we have become a frequent shopper there. I should get frequent flyer miles.. anyway, from the descriptions I had been reading, my pure white pullet IS a leghorn with her fluorescent earlobes like Reggie my huge very colorful Leghorn Rooster. but, the very pretty but odd looking speckled one (for a Leghorn, directly ordered as a leghorn, the guy only wanted a few but had to order a large number) I got it as a Leghorn, but I don't believe it is. Everything is wrong. My two teenagers dubbed him/her "Pepper" another thing that gets me is these two are now supposed to be 4 months old, my other three and two female mallards are 5 months and HUGE compared to these two. Pepper has thick legs, red earlobes, a speckled beak, I DO NOT want to go thru another meat bird incident again. I raised two beautiful white CR X's just to get attacked by wolves here in the forum, and have my neighbor call her aunt to come cull my precious 20 plus pound boys when one went into congestive heart failure and my favorite of the two had arthritis so bad he had lumps forming on his legs, I actually thought he was a she up to that point. I cried for several days. but both could still walk. they were 4 months old. I think.

any way, here are the two new "Leghorn Pullets"

I also have two "Leghorn" pullets that I just recently purchased from a fellow Facebooker, turns out I also knew the guy from Lowe's because for the strangest reason, we have become a frequent shopper there. I should get frequent flyer miles.. anyway, from the descriptions I had been reading, my pure white pullet IS a leghorn with her fluorescent earlobes like Reggie my huge very colorful Leghorn Rooster. but, the very pretty but odd looking speckled one (for a Leghorn, directly ordered as a leghorn, the guy only wanted a few but had to order a large number) I got it as a Leghorn, but I don't believe it is. Everything is wrong. My two teenagers dubbed him/her "Pepper" another thing that gets me is these two are now supposed to be 4 months old, my other three and two female mallards are 5 months and HUGE compared to these two. Pepper has thick legs, red earlobes, a speckled beak, I DO NOT want to go thru another meat bird incident again. I raised two beautiful white CR X's just to get attacked by wolves here in the forum, and have my neighbor call her aunt to come cull my precious 20 plus pound boys when one went into congestive heart failure and my favorite of the two had arthritis so bad he had lumps forming on his legs, I actually thought he was a she up to that point. I cried for several days. but both could still walk. they were 4 months old. I think.

i promise no one was attacking you like wolves instead we were completely honest with you. sorry but we tend to not sugar coat anything. we were trying to give you advice and prepare you for the worst case scenario, we didn't want to see you get hurt from being to attached to meat birds that's why i will never own any cause i do get attached to my babies and could never butcher them (or at least i couldn't do).

no that girls is 110% leghorn she is an Exchequer Leghorn
this is a pullet
ashley24sep99.JPEG

and this is what she will look like grown
ExcheqLegHens2.JPEG

With that reddish brown around the throat, that second bird is probably a RIR/white Leghorn cross. TSC sells those as Tetra Tints. I have six right now, and they lay a very lightly tinted egg. I don't think she's an Exchequer Leghorn. Makes a lot more sense that she'd be a common cross rather than a hard to find rare color. If she is a Tetra Tint, she'll lay much better than an Exchequer Leghorn would, so that's a plus!

Back
Top Bottom