Legit or a Scam?

purelypoultry

Songster
Aug 2, 2008
Fremont, Wisconsin
Someone just called me from a company i had never heard of before. He said for their company anniversary they are sending Visa Gift cards and 100 pounds of free product to every one they had done business with in the past. I had never done business with them, but he sounds totally legitamate. He wanted to verify my address to send the 100 pounds of cleaners to. I said I do not really want 100 pounds of cleaners. I hope I still get the visa gift card and its not a scam. I didn't give him any information. Legit? Scam?

They are a local company and have a great website for cleaners and solvents.

Quote:
It sounds a bit fishy, can you call the company back from the number on their website and verify? 100 lbs of cleaner is what sounds fishy to me.

I am guessing that you won't receive the gift cards because you didn't want the cleaners. I have received calls like that before, but for something else. For example, the company offered me a free George Foreman grill or a getaway. I said there are no strings attached (I knew that there were). I was supposed to make an appointement for someone to come over and listen to there spiel about the vacuum cleaner that they sell. I said no thank you. You are probably okay giving out your address this time. I never verify any address info when a telemarketer calls even if it is a company that I do have an account with. I just tell them no thank you (usually repeatedly). If you don't listen carefully enough, you can be enrolled into a service that you don't want. Verifying your address is one way they enroll you.

You have to be careful when it is someone contacting you and offering "free stuff".
You might have fine print that can come to bite your butt later,
by receiving the "free stuff" you might come under contract to order things that cost $$$ later.

Sounds fishy to me.

Remember the old saying:
"If something seems too good to be true, it usually is."
old.gif

Most likely some type of scam. Cleaner probably would have come COD or something. I had UPS show up with a COD package one time. I knew that I hadn't ordered anything and it was like 150.00 bucks. The driver suggested I ask to have to box opened to inspect it and it was just filled with garbage. Someone tried to get one over on me but fortunately I didn't fall for it.

Back
Top Bottom