Lemon Blue Cochins~~***BRAND NEW PICTURES***~~~

Pics
The're beautiful! I really love the hen. I've hatched so many dang cockerels this year, I don't have many pullets to look at.  

Three pullets that hatched this spring started laying last weekend. I guess the're ready to move out of the grow out pens. 

Must be something in the water this year, I've gotten soooo many cockerels this year too!
I do think the little chick that I hatched from your eggs is a pullet though. At first I thought cockerel but growing up fast and looking like I lucked out and got a pullet. She's adorable too, she just loves me and jumps into my arms every time I open the door to their pen. She'd probably let me hold her all day long. I call her Beep Beep because that's what she says all the time. Need to figure out a better name once she grows up. She knows her name though and comes running every time I call her~

Must be something in the water this year, I've gotten soooo many cockerels this year too!
I do think the little chick that I hatched from your eggs is a pullet though. At first I thought cockerel but growing up fast and looking like I lucked out and got a pullet. She's adorable too, she just loves me and jumps into my arms every time I open the door to their pen. She'd probably let me hold her all day long. I call her Beep Beep because that's what she says all the time. Need to figure out a better name once she grows up. She knows her name though and comes running every time I call her~

I only have got only 5 cockerels out of 26 cochin chicks this year. Down to 3 though. Sold the golden laced and have mottled and splash left.

Ya'll need to use pullet dust in your incubators
gig.gif

I have a breeder friend who says that the temperature inside the incuabator during the first 10 days has an effect on the outcome of pullets vs cockerels. I suspect this means the cockerels are higher in the bloodring or dis percentages.

Whatever the reason, the hatches he has done for me... all seven... this year have had a high percentage of pullets.

Last edited:
I don't know if incubator temps have anything to do with determining the sex. It might cause one sex to have a higher survival rate I suppose. I did manage to hatch 100% buff silkie pullets and now I'm looking for a buff cock to buy. My husband thinks I'm talking crazy when I say I need to buy a rooster
lau.gif

Ya'll need to use pullet dust in your incubators  :gig

I have a breeder friend who says that the temperature inside the incuabator during the first 10 days has an effect on the outcome of pullets vs cockerels.    I suspect this means the cockerels are higher in the bloodring or dis percentages.

Whatever the reason, the hatches he has done for me... all seven... this year have had a high percentage of pullets.

You need to send me some pullet dust! Lol

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the LB and BR birds I kept this year. A full brother of the BR cockerel took Grand Champion Bantam at the Chippewa Co Fair last week - very exciting! The two were almost identical except for color, and this boy had a brighter red color that I liked a lot. They are all still pretty young, and their feathers are still developing.

Here are almost the whole group, the 2 cockerels are right center - I did not keep the BR pullet behind the rooster, her tail was a little upright and her black coloring dull instead of shiny black. the only one missing is the frizzle BR pullet, she is really a nice little bird, but did not want to come out with the others.

This is the BR roo, I don't know what he did to that tail feather but it was not like that a week ago! Next to him is one of the two LB pullets.

BR pullet that I kept

Both roosters and the two LB pullets - the LB cockerel has great shape, and is quite a bit smaller than the BR guy. They all get along great, the boys actually hang out together a lot of the time. They were all a little on alert here watching my dog run by.

Back
Top Bottom