Lemon Blue Cochins~~***BRAND NEW PICTURES***~~~

Pics
I have some lemon blues in with the brown reds. The hen in front is in bad condition right now she was broody couple weeks ago and now shes molting. The rooster in the bottom corner is the same on in my avatar. The brown red pullet and lemon blue in the back are the offspring of that hen and rooster. The splash frizzle is not staying in this pen. I think I will get some real nice lemon blues next year from these.

Wayne, you get the possibility of splash chicks when you breed LB to LB, or LB to splash. Genetically, they have two genes for blue, which fades the black and red colors out to a whitish bird with "splash" markings. Some people like them, others prefer the LB and BR color patterns. The genetics involved can be found earlier in this thread. If you breed a splash to a BR, you will get all LB's.

OK I couldn't find the post, so here is goes -

The blue gene works on black and red to fade them. The gene works the same way on all colors of birds, so you get a variety of results depending on the base colors. To produce true Lemon Blues, you start with Brown Red (black body with reddish brown head) and use a blue to get to Lemon Blue (grey body color with yellowish head). Splashes are whitish birds with blue and yellow splash markings in the areas that a LB has those colors.

The Andalusian genetics work like this:

BR x BR = 100% BR
BR x LB = 50% BR, 50% LB
LB x LB = 25% BR, 50% LB, 50% splash
Spl x Spl = 100% splash
Spl x BR = 100% LB
Spl x LB = 25% LB, 75% splash

If you breed splashes together or to LB, the color becomes more washed-out with each generation. It is probably best to cross these with a BR for best color.

Most LF LB's are actually buff crosses and not genetically LB. There are a few people working on LF BR's, and when they are available there will be LF LB's available as well.

LB is an ABA accepted color in bantams, but not an APA accepted color.

Last edited:
OK I couldn't find the post, so here is goes -

The blue gene works on black and red to fade them. The gene works the same way on all colors of birds, so you get a variety of results depending on the base colors. To produce true Lemon Blues, you start with Brown Red (black body with reddish brown head) and use a blue to get to Lemon Blue (grey body color with yellowish head). Splashes are whitish birds with blue and yellow splash markings in the areas that a LB has those colors.

The Andalusian genetics work like this:

BR x BR = 100% BR
BR x LB = 50% BR, 50% LB
LB x LB = 25% BR, 50% LB, 50% splash
Spl x Spl = 100% splash
Spl x BR = 100% LB
Spl x LB = 25% LB, 75% splash

If you breed splashes together or to LB, the color becomes more washed-out with each generation. It is probably best to cross these with a BR for best color.

Most LF LB's are actually buff crosses and not genetically LB. There are a few people working on LF BR's, and when they are available there will be LF LB's available as well.

LB is an ABA accepted color in bantams, but not an APA accepted color.
My rooster Bruce is a brown red. You can see him and his hens in my lemon blue album in my signature.

Yes, Bruce is indeed rare -you are very fortunate to have such a handsome and unusual fellow. You would do well to find some BR hens for him and establish a line. You could also use pure Blue hens to start a LB project with him. Many of your birds appear to be buff-based, very pretty but not genetically LB.

Yes, Bruce is indeed rare -you are very fortunate to have such a handsome and unusual fellow. You would do well to find some BR hens for him and establish a line. You could also use pure Blue hens to start a LB project with him. Many of your birds appear to be buff-based, very pretty but not genetically LB.
I have a brown red hen named Lynne. I got all these from Lynne. :)

Back
Top Bottom