Lemon Blues breed like plain Blues do, producing blue, black, and splash versions of the variety when bred together.

Lemon Blue x Lemon Blue = 25% Brown Red, 50% Lemon Blue, and 25% Lemon Splash offspring
If I cross two brown reds from the lemon
Blue pair would I end up getting the same variety?

Brown Red crossed to Brown Red will only get you Brown Red, yes. Even if their parents were Lemon Blue.

If it helps, I'll explain a bit more about the inheritance. The reason why Lemon Blue does not breed true is because the blue gene is partially dominant. What that means is that the heterozygous condition (one copy of the gene) gives a partial effect and homozygous (two copies) gives a full effect. So in this case blue is the partial effect and splash is the full effect. Lemon Blue therefore is heterozygous for the gene, written as Bl/bl+ where Bl is the blue gene and bl+ is not blue. Because only one copy of the blue gene Bl is present, you get the partial effect of the gene and the bird has blue coloring.

When you pair two Lemon Blues, you're pairing Bl/bl+ with Bl/bl+. That means either parent has an equal chance of passing on a Bl or a bl+ to their offspring. So when you cross two Lemon Blues, one of 4 things could happen with each chick they produce: both parents will pass on bl+, the father will pass on Bl and the mother will pass on bl+, the father will pass on bl+ and the mother Bl, or both parents will pass on Bl. The occurrence where the offspring inherit Bl from one parent and bl+ from the other are effectively the same and can be added together, so you end up with a 1 in 4 chance of getting bl+/bl+ black, a 2 in 4 chance of getting Bl/bl+ blue, and a 1 in 4 chance of getting Bl/Bl splash. The often quoted 25%-50%-25% ratio of breeding blues.

Now, Brown Red does not have the blue dilution at all, so they are simply bl+/bl+ or black. And if you pair two Brown Reds together, you're pairing bl+/bl+ with bl+/bl+. As you can see, all there is available to pass on for that trait are bl+ genes, so all offspring are also bl+/bl+. The same happens with Lemon Splash when paired together, where both parents are Bl/Bl so can only pass on Bl and thus only make Bl/Bl in their offspring. It's only the heterozygous condition of blue, Bl/bl+, that can result in a variety of possible outcomes because the parents have more than one gene, Bl and bl+, that can be passed on for that trait. I hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Brown Red crossed to Brown Red will only get you Brown Red, yes. Even if their parents were Lemon Blue.

If it helps, I'll explain a bit more about the inheritance. The reason why Lemon Blue does not breed true is because the blue gene is partially dominant. What that means is that the heterozygous condition (one copy of the gene) gives a partial effect and homozygous (two copies) gives a full effect. So in this case blue is the partial effect and splash is the full effect. Lemon Blue therefore is heterozygous for the gene, written as Bl/bl+ where Bl is the blue gene and bl+ is not blue. Because only one copy of the blue gene Bl is present, you get the partial effect of the gene and the bird has blue coloring.

When you pair two Lemon Blues, you're pairing Bl/bl+ with Bl/bl+. That means either parent has an equal chance of passing on a Bl or a bl+ to their offspring. So when you cross two Lemon Blues, one of 4 things could happen with each chick they produce: both parents will pass on bl+, the father will pass on Bl and the mother will pass on bl+, the father will pass on bl+ and the mother Bl, or both parents will pass on Bl. The occurrence where the offspring inherit Bl from one parent and bl+ from the other are effectively the same and can be added together, so you end up with a 1 in 4 chance of getting bl+/bl+ black, a 2 in 4 chance of getting Bl/bl+ blue, and a 1 in 4 chance of getting Bl/Bl splash. The often quoted 25%-50%-25% ratio of breeding blues.

Now, Brown Red does not have the blue dilution at all, so they are simply bl+/bl+ or black. And if you pair two Brown Reds together, you're pairing bl+/bl+ with bl+/bl+. As you can see, all there is available to pass on for that trait are bl+ genes, so all offspring are also bl+/bl+. The same happens with Lemon Splash when paired together, where both parents are Bl/Bl so can only pass on Bl and thus only make Bl/Bl in their offspring. It's only the heterozygous condition of blue, Bl/bl+, that can result in a variety of possible outcomes because the parents have more than one gene, Bl and bl+, that can be passed on for that trait. I hope that makes sense!
Ohh okay! Thought it would be red to red also gives you the same variation since the parents are lemon blues, I tried searching for this for a week and couldn’t find anything on it. If I cross a blue cochin to a lemon blue cochin what would the outcome be? Would it be BBS offspring??

Yes, Blue x Lemon Blue should give you the same ratio of BBS offspring as just Blue x Blue, but in this case likely showing some color leakage that resembles the pattern of coloring on the Lemon Blues.

Yes, Blue x Lemon Blue should give you the same ratio of BBS offspring as just Blue x Blue, but in this case likely showing some color leakage that resembles the pattern of coloring on the Lemon Blues.
In the case of Lemon blue to brown red then? What is the color offspring? Is the same as bbs? And I know lemon blue base is Burchen, isn’t it also Brin Red? It’s so confusing

Lemon Blue crossed to Brown Red will make equal numbers of both colors. Following the explanation I posted above, the Brown Red parent is bl+/bl+ and so only has bl+ genes to pass on, while the Lemon Blue is Bl/bl+ so has both Bl and bl+ it can pass on. Since there's an equal chance of Bl or bl+ being passed on from the Lemon Blue parent, crossing to Brown Red makes equal numbers of Bl/bl+ and bl+/bl+. This is the same as crossing solid Black to solid Blue.

Brown Red, Lemon Blue, and Lemon Splash are all birchen-based colorations, yes. Lemon Blue is just Brown Red diluted with one blue plumage dilution gene, and Lemon Splash, of course, has two blue dilution genes.

Back
Top Bottom