Lemon-Drops hatching thread-broody

Pics

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Ok, so... I wasn't originally planning on hatching chicks. I went to the coop to collect the eggs-I had forgotten to for a couple days, but to my horror was Pebbles-a gray silkie-sitting on a clutch of eggs. I cracked one open, not thinking to candle it, and there were many red veins and something pulsating in the middle. So... I guess we'll be having babies. (I feel completely awful for cracking open that egg) from looking at diagrams online, I believe it would have been about 5 days or so in.

I'm a total newbie (I've only raised feed store chicks) and planning to just let her sit on the eggs - but I have many questions.
1. Should I move her?
2. Should I keep her contained with the eggs? (Like in a dog crate in the coop)
3. What about when they hatch? Should I put them in a dog crate then to keep them away from the others?
4. Would they need a heat lamp at all, or something similar?
5. For the seasoned hatchers - any tips?
6. How often can I candle? (I know that I probably don't need too, but I want to really badly)

I'll probably have a LOT more questions as I go, sorry.

I'll plan to post lots of pictures of her sitting on the eggs, candling (if possible) and the chicks (If they hatch)

This was the original thread

So, hopefully you guys will follow along, and help me with all my numerous questions!

@EmmaRainboe @cherrynberry @berryncherry @Pyxis @PippinTheChicken @All4Eggz and anyone else willing to help!

(Thanks for those that have!)

Ok, so... I wasn't originally planning on hatching chicks. I went to the coop to collect the eggs-I had forgotten to for a couple days, but to my horror was Pebbles-a gray silkie-sitting on a clutch of eggs. I cracked one open, not thinking to candle it, and there were many red veins and something pulsating in the middle. So... I guess we'll be having babies. (I feel completely awful for cracking open that egg) from looking at diagrams online, I believe it would have been about 5 days or so in.

I'm a total newbie (I've only raised feed store chicks) and planning to just let her sit on the eggs - but I have many questions.
1. Should I move her?
2. Should I keep her contained with the eggs? (Like in a dog crate in the coop)
3. What about when they hatch? Should I put them in a dog crate then to keep them away from the others?
4. Would they need a heat lamp at all, or something similar?
5. For the seasoned hatchers - any tips?
6. How often can I candle? (I know that I probably don't need too, but I want to really badly)

I'll probably have a LOT more questions as I go, sorry.

I'll plan to post lots of pictures of her sitting on the eggs, candling (if possible) and the chicks (If they hatch)

This was the original thread

So, hopefully you guys will follow along, and help me with all my numerous questions!

@EmmaRainboe @cherrynberry @berryncherry @Pyxis @PippinTheChicken @All4Eggz and anyone else willing to help!

(Thanks for those that have!)
I replied to your other thread with some simple info.

1. Should I move her? Look at my other response. To sum it up, I don't recommend it.
2. Should I keep her contained with the eggs? (Like in a dog crate in the coop) No, but make sure to watch them and see how the flock reacts to them. Every flock is different.
3. What about when they hatch? Should I put them in a dog crate then to keep them away from the others? Same answer as the one in #2.
4. Would they need a heat lamp at all, or something similar? No.
5. For the seasoned hatchers - any tips? Mark eggs, watch them closely, don't move the hen, always have a plan b, etc.
6. How often can I candle? (I know that I probably don't need too, but I want to really badly) Candle them today, move away the duds. If they are far away from hatch, you can candle them a few days before hatch too, only if you want.

Some questions for you:

Do you have an incubator?
What do you feed?
And...aren't you excited!?! Congrats!! :celebrate

I replied to your other thread with some simple info.

1. Should I move her? Look at my other response. To sum it up, I don't recommend it.
2. Should I keep her contained with the eggs? (Like in a dog crate in the coop) No, but make sure to watch them and see how the flock reacts to them. Every flock is different.
3. What about when they hatch? Should I put them in a dog crate then to keep them away from the others? Same answer as the one in #2.
4. Would they need a heat lamp at all, or something similar? No.
5. For the seasoned hatchers - any tips? Mark eggs, watch them closely, don't move the hen, always have a plan b, etc.
6. How often can I candle? (I know that I probably don't need too, but I want to really badly) Candle them today, move away the duds. If they are far away from hatch, you can candle them a few days before hatch too, only if you want.

Some questions for you:

Do you have an incubator?
What do you feed?
And...aren't you excited!?! Congrats!! :celebrate
Thanks for all the information!
I do not have an incubator, unfortunately.
I Usually feed them Purina All Flock Pellets, but my twin, Star, switched them today to a hen feed.

:barnie

I told her that Eclipse (the rooster) can't eat too much calcium, and the chicks can't have that, but I can get chick/flock raiser crumbles while they're young.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bursting with excitement!

I marked the eggs earlier with a pencil, too.

Here are some candling photos.
Egg she HASNT been sitting on:
infertile egg.jpg

The next are eggs that she's been sitting on.
Fertile Egg 1.jpg

Fertile egg 2.jpg

Fertile egg 4.jpg
Fertile egg 2.jpg

I Usually feed them Purina All Flock Pellets, but my twin, Star, switched them today to a hen feed.

I told her that Eclipse (the rooster) can't eat too much calcium, and the chicks can't have that, but I can get chick/flock raiser crumbles while they're young.

View attachment 3011840
View attachment 3011843
View attachment 3011845
View attachment 3011846View attachment 3011848
(The eggs are a bit dirty)

View attachment 3011840
View attachment 3011843
View attachment 3011845
View attachment 3011846View attachment 3011848
They are very young. I like to candle every 5 days and then do one last candling on day 18.

Make sure you don't wash the eggs because that will take off the bloom which is a protective layer that stops bacteria from getting in.
Yep, that's what I thought. It makes me a little nervous knowing that they'll (*hopefully!* be hatching from muddy-ish eggs, but I think it's riskier to wipe it off.

Back
Top Bottom