length of confinement for cocci?

numamahen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
One of my 24 week old Golden Laced Wyandottes was in bad shape on the 21st with cocci. I removed her from the flock and put her in an animal carrier and have been treating the whole flock with corid for cocci. There is two others of the 24 that had some bloody poo - not as bad as hers, but I never figured out which girls they were.

I cleaned out the coop with bleached, pine sol and finally ammonia. We haven't put bedding in only newspaper and butcher wrap so I could be watching the poo. Today there was only one slightly suspicious looking poo. My questions is, since all of the birds have been exposed and treated, when can I let my mostly recovered patient back into the flock?

As soon as she's strong enough to get her food without the others making her leave! And, watch carefully for a few days because sometimes the pecking order can get vicious. Congrats on finding out what was wrong, and getting the flock treated!

I am sorry to tell you... once you have cocci.... it is always present... Keeping the coop clean and fecal matter to a minimum helps prevent reinfestations of grand proportion... you will always have to watch babies brought into the coup and adults when a breakout occurs.... It is helpful to switch medications from time to time if you find yourself treating for repeat breakouts... It is common... A sign of blood in the stool is helpful but it's absence does NOT mean cocci isn't affecting a bird.... I treat simultaneously with an antibiotic for secondary infection.... Any time there is rain from now on your chances for a breakout go up... just know this and you can actually use corrid during those times in a lower dose to help "prevent" them.

I read that freezing temperatures are a way to "get rid of" cocci. Since I live in Minnesota might the upcoming winter help to kill off the nasty bug?

Geebs: how do you treat simultaneously with an antibiotic for secondary infection?

Please think twice about using antibioitics as a "prevention." It's really best to not use them unless absolutley necessary, because there is always cause to be concerned about antibiotic resistant bacteria developing.

It sounds like you're on the right track with your treatment and cleaning protocol; I would invest in a gallon of Oxine and use Oxine solution, which kills almost every bug known to chickens! It's expensive, but it's concentrated so you mix with water. It even kills Marek's! I use it each time I clean the coop - I spray the nest boxes, perchest, and even the ground in the run once a year, thoroughly. I also spray feeders and waterers when I clean them. I swear by the stuff, as do many others. Since I've begun using it regularly, I (KNOCK WOOD) haven't had any issues with ANY illnesses! Do a search on here for Oxine, and you'll find lots of info.

thanks wynette - I don't like the sound of using preventative measures. I was going to research that a bit more. Cleaning with Oxine sounds better to me... I will have to read up on it. My girls range in our yard - could I use an orchard sprayer and treat the grass? I would like to shift the ranging area but it will be alot of work to re-fence everything. So a treatment/spray would be nice!

I was planning on starting probiotics mix on Saturday since then there has been a week of treatment. They have been getting yogurt along the way but I have a treatment someone recommended with buttermilk, yogurt, vit e and applesauce with the feed. They love treats - so for some months a couple times a week, they get lettuce, yogurt & some grapes or berries of some type. Hopefully they like the other mix. I hope there gut isn't too destroyed from the Corrid an now suseptable to something else. I also plan on getting back to using ACV 3-5 days a week. Let me know if I am on track - never did this before so I am learning from everyone! Thanks all!!!

Well, it sure sounds like you've learned a lot and have taken it to heart with your flock - lucky girls they are to have YOU as chicken momma! A good probiotic would be fantastic now. I actually give all my flocks a low-dose probioitc in their water 3-5 days per month. make sure the applesauce is unsweetened...yogurt is excellent....be careful on the berries, they're good, but if they are red, they may end up w/red poop and it'll freak you out! If you see red, just know it's probably from the berries.

I think your plan is a good one!

I don't free range my flocks very often because we have lots of fox in the area, and I work full time. I free range them when I'm home only and can watch over them...it's hard to find a big enough chunk of time where I can do this!

Yes, you can use an orchard sprayer with the Oxine solution - that's what I use. It's actually quite economical, IMO!

thanks for the glowing compliment - my DH just sighed and asked if there will ever be any profit in this. I don't think so!! It would just be nice to have a little income from all this work!! I will keep in mind the red berry deal and the apple sauce is unsweetened - thanks for all info & support!

Okay, THIS is bizzarre - I JUST got this e-mail:

What's HOT at First State Vet Supply!
First State Vet Supply looks forward to bringing you up to date news and information on events and products that affect the poultry enthusiast. We'll not only tell you about NEW products that are available to help your birds but share poultry health news and success stories we've encountered by your peers in the poultry world.
First State Vet Supply offers an online store with all the products you'll need to keep your flock heathly and productive. From nutritional products to the the latest in Poultry House equipment. Are you looking for something hard to find, ask DOC, he'll probably know who and/or where to get it.

Make New Friends at Feather Fanciers!
Please visit www.FeatherFanciers.com and register so you can join us in the Forums for some good honest poultry discussion. If you have questions please feel free to post in the "DOC, I need HELP!" forum. Peter Brown aka "The Chicken Doctor" will do his best to answer all your questions. Be sure to read thru the forum, he may have already answered your same questi on posted by another member. There is also a wonderful online Photo Gallery for you to post photo's of your feathered friends. Register TODAY and become a member of the internet's premiere online poultry community.

CURRENTLY ON SALE !!!
OXINE
Disinfectant
We are currently offering the Oxine Gallon Bottle (item # BT98) for only $21.95 and we are also discounting Oxine in the convenient Manufacturer Certified Quart Bottle (item # OXQT) for only $7.95.

With the Summer heat now in full force all across the country this is an ideal time to clean and disinfect your Poultry House in preparation for the oncoming Winter months. We at First State Vet Supply are here to help with a Summer block buster deal on arguably the best Disinfectant made, Oxine. We have teamed up with the Manufacturer and bought a boat load of Oxine and now we must move it out before the Winter weather sets in.
These Rock Bottom Prices wont last forever, so take advantage of this sale Now. Dont miss out on this GREAT opportunity to cash in on this disinfectant.
Did you know the following about Oxine:
Oxine is approved for Fogging in the Coop with the birds or Animals present, no need to remove the birds during the winter months or a disease outbreak. Oxine used in this manner can and does help shorten the course of a disease outbreak.
Using Oxine in the drinking water destroys all the biofilms, bacteria and other pathogens in the water that can cause Gastric Distress. Oxine is the ONLY disinfectant FULLY labeled for misting over live birds. Misting OXINE over your birds will kill Airborne Pathogens and put a Halt to the Spread of Disease.
OXINE is the only disinfectant USDA and EPA APPROVED for Human, Animal and Poultry Drinking water. OXINE, kills Bacteria, Viruses, Fungi and Spores with a Mechanical Oxidizing Action. Unlike other disinfectants, Pathogens can NOT become Resistant to OXINE and Pathogens that are resistant to other disinfectants succumb quickly and easily to OXINE.
In tests conducted at the University of Oklahoma, Oxine was tested and found to be 200 times more powerful that Chlorine Bleach. It took 600 ppm. Chlorine Bleach to kill the deadly Bacteria E.coli 0157:H7 while it only took 3 ppm. of OXINE to accomplish the same test results.
Oxine is also used to control STICKY EYE in Ducks as well as Nasal Flushing of all Poultry.
As always - Complete DIRECTIONS for use in the drinking water and as a Premise Disinfectant are supplied with each bottle of OXINE.

Breaking News
Flu Alert: The first case of The Human H-1 N-1 Flu Virus making the jump from Humans to Poultry has recently occurred in Chile. Several flocks of Turkeys have tested positive for the H-1 N-1 Human Flu Virus.
Oxine will neutralize all of the Flu Viruses Human or Bird. Don’t be caught short, prepare yourself for the upcoming Flu season and protect yourself and your birds by spraying Oxine on a regular basis.
“The head of the WHO( World Health Organization), Margaret Chan, said this week that the world must remain on guard against the H1N1 flu, which has been mild so far but could become more serious as the northern hemisphere heads into winter.”

This message was sent on behalf of:

First State Vet Supply
P.O. Box 864
Salisbury, MD 21803
(410)546-6137
www.firststatevetsupply.com

wow, thanks for posting that, I need some more oxine
lau.gif

I second (or third) everyone who mentioned using oxine - I love that stuff!!

meri

Back
Top Bottom