Lethargic Americana Hen

Wolfmoonct

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2015
Two days ago, when doing my nightly count and closing the coop door, I found us one hen short. I found her under the coop, but since our coop is 10x16 I really had no way to get her. Occasionally we have one or two hens that I find in a short tree and I have to put them in the coop, so I wasn't real worried. Last night she was back on the roosts with everyone else.

Today, she was not looking very good. The wife walked up to her, and she didn't even try to move, she just laid there on the ground. The wife put her next to the water container, and she said that she guzzled the water as fast as she could. We gave her some Poly-Visol. She pretty much stayed near the water container all day. I did see her on her feet taking a drink earlier in the afternoon.

When I did tonight's count, she was still right next to the water container. When I went to pick her up, she did get up and try to move, but it wasn't real fast. Soon I got my hands around her, water just poured out of her beak. I don't feel anything in her crop.

She is less than a year old. I am trying to figure out what it could be. She is not showing any signs of anything other than drinking a lot, and not wanting to walk around. I did not feel anything like an egg stuck near her vent.

I live in CT and for the last prob 4-5 days, it's been in the 90's and with the dew point in the 70's the heat index is saying it feels like 104-107 degrees.

Could she just be overheating?

Does the crop feel empty?
How does her breath smell?
How does the abdomen feel - hard, soft, fluid filled?
Does she normally lay eggs - are they normal?
What does her poop look like?

You may want to separate her so you can monitor her food/water intake. Make a wet mash out of her feed and offer plenty of cold water.
Overheating can stress a chicken so it could take her several days to recover if she suffer heat stress.

Chicken will also drink a lot of water when there is a crop issue, so you will want to make sure it's functioning properly - let her eat if she will all day - then check her crop when she goes to bed - check it first thing in the am before she has had anything to eat/drink. The crop should be empty.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-helping-chickens-survive-high.html

Does the crop feel empty? - Yes. Feels completely empty
How does her breath smell? - I didn't smell anything when I went out to check on her.
How does the abdomen feel - hard, soft, fluid filled? - It feels normal to me. Not feeling anything abnormal
Does she normally lay eggs - are they normal? - We have yet to get any eggs from these yet. I would think they should be starting soon, but none of these Americana (i know I spelled it wrong probably) nor the Barred Rocks have started to lay yet.. or at least not in the coop.
What does her poop look like? - I am going to seperate her tonight once I get a crate set up downstairs. I'll be able to tell then.

I put her right in front of the feeder, and she just laid there. She did not even try to eat anything. Today it is cooler out. It's only 84 today with 53% humidity and a nice breeze. I even saw some of the other hens out sunbathing.

When i have a hen that gets down like that, I take 1 tsp dark karo syrup, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it with 1/2 cup of arm water and syringe feed it. It should get her back on her feet enough to nibble at some feed. And keep her in an area around 70 degrees. Hope this helps!

Does the crop feel empty? - Yes. Feels completely empty
How does her breath smell? - I didn't smell anything when I went out to check on her.
How does the abdomen feel - hard, soft, fluid filled? - It feels normal to me. Not feeling anything abnormal
Does she normally lay eggs - are they normal? - We have yet to get any eggs from these yet. I would think they should be starting soon, but none of these Americana (i know I spelled it wrong probably) nor the Barred Rocks have started to lay yet.. or at least not in the coop.
What does her poop look like? - I am going to seperate her tonight once I get a crate set up downstairs. I'll be able to tell then.

I put her right in front of the feeder, and she just laid there. She did not even try to eat anything. Today it is cooler out. It's only 84 today with 53% humidity and a nice breeze. I even saw some of the other hens out sunbathing.
Can you post some photos or a video of her?

So she is young (pullet) - how old?
See if she improves with separating her with her own food and water - you can add some electrolytes for a day or some poultry vitamins for a few days to see if that helps. Try to keep her hydrated and see if she will eat some wet poultry feed or some scrambled/boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Was she vaccinated for Marek's? Is she laying down in any odd way? Are her legs under her, splayed out or does she look like she has the splits?

Here is a video of her. I believe she is about... 4-5 months old.

She feels pretty thin. Normally we can't get near them. I brought her inside, and put out some water with Poly-Visol in it. I also mushed up her food. I took and made a little feeding tube from some airline tubing and a syringe. I kinda squirted it into her mouth and made her eat about 10cc worth. I then gave her some of the water too.

She was not vaccinated. We got her from a local person not a hatchery. She lays down normally. She pretty much just stayed standing under the coop near the water container today. I picked her up and put her in front of the food and she just laid there. I did not see her even try to eat anything. About two hours later she had moved from where I put her back under the coop and was standing there.. tail and wings drooping down.

You are still feeding chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser poultry feed since she is not laying egg yet, correct?
How long have you had her on your property?

You may want to treat her for Coccidiosis just in case.
Some signs/symptoms are lethargy/weakness, diarrhea with mucous or blood, balance problems and having a puffed up appearance.

Cocci is treated with Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After treatment is finished offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

If you can take a poop sample to a vet for a fecal float that may be beneficial to rule out worms or bacterial infection.

We have been using an all flock type food because we have Guinea hens and peacocks too, and we have hens of all ages. They have a separate container that has oyster shell in one side and crushed granite on the other side.

We did a general Corid treatment for the entire flock a couple weeks ago, as a preventative. We have had her the entire time. We picked her up when she was about a week old. For the last 2 days we have had Big Ole Bird in the flock water too.

We have been using an all flock type food because we have Guinea hens and peacocks too, and we have hens of all ages. They have a separate container that has oyster shell in one side and crushed granite on the other side.

We did a general Corid treatment for the entire flock a couple weeks ago, as a preventative. We have had her the entire time. We picked her up when she was about a week old. For the last 2 days we have had Big Ole Bird in the flock water too.
I like an all flock feed as well

Sorry for all the questions - just brainstorming the common problems it could be
smile.png

Is she any better today?

I had a similar issue about two weeks ago when I went to let my chickens out. One was laying on her side in the coop I picked her up and set her down on the ground, she would stand but then just fall down in a laying position. I kept her inside the house for about four days and fed various things such as yogurt apples cooked corn & gave her water. For the most part her comb looked good. Overall her appearance seemed good but she still wouldn't stand. Finally one of her poops came out with Round Worms. I wormed all 8 of my chickens with Wazine 17 individually with a baby Advil syringe (.625 oz of Wazine and .625 of water) and gave it to them each orally. With in only a days time the sick chick was back to her old self! I really believe she would have died if I hadn't of done the whole process of keeping her inside to monitor her because I would have never know it was worms. If you haven't wormed them, it could very well be the same thing. Round worms make them super uncomfortable and will kill them if not treated. I've only had chickens for about a year and didn't know anything when I started. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom