BrahmaMom1797

Songster
May 18, 2017
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Rhode Island Red. She’s approximately 5 years old is my best guess, she doesn’t feel much lighter but I rarely hold her for her comfort.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

A bit lethargic, sleeping while standing in the run, not usual for her, she hardly naps ever. Standing away from flock mates. Her waddles were light pink, with some flesh color at the tips, very pale.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I only noticed yesterday.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Not that I can see, they all look very alert and healthy.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I’m very unsure, she was doing fine as far as I know till I saw her yesterday.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

I haven’t noticed her eating or drinking yet today, she doesn’t pay attention to her food around me, she’s not necessarily the most tame of birds.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poop is very runny, green and whites Aside from the paleness this is how I know she’s pretty sick...

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I have separated her from the flock but I’m not sure where to go from here, last bird with this type of behavior had to be put down.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I would like to keep it home treatment as money is tight and avian vets in our area are sparse and expensive.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

None sorry I don’t want to stress her.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

They live in a very ventilated house with pine shavings as bedding, with recent rains it has been tough keeping their bedding totally dry but now that it’s dry I’ll be cleaning.

What is your location and current climate? Have you checked her crop? Have you offered her water and food? Where is she being kept?

Do you happen to have an antibiotic on hand? If so, what is it and what strength?

How old is she? Does she currently lay? How long has she been this way? Are her symptoms improving or is she getting worse? How’s her poop? To me, this seems like Coccidiosis, worms or lice/mites.

What is your location and current climate? Have you checked her crop? Have you offered her water and food? Where is she being kept?

Do you happen to have an antibiotic on hand? If so, what is it and what strength?
I live in central, coastal California. It’s been either very cold or very wet recently. Checked her crop and it wasn’t sour at all, will check again in the morning to make sure it’s not impacted. She has food and water at the ready for her. She’s being kept in our quarantine coop, very warm and cozy.
I’m unsure of what sort of antibiotic I should have on hard for something like this... general antibiotic? Or avian specific?

How old is she? Does she currently lay? How long has she been this way? Are her symptoms improving or is she getting worse? How’s her poop? To me, this seems like Coccidiosis, worms or lice/mites.
She is about 5/6 I believe, that’s the closest I can get, she is a rescue. She does lay, one of our best despite her age. I only noticed her yesterday and she seemed to look a lot better today, color in her face, less hunched over. Poop was still runny and bright green, no piling. I have corid if needed, checked for lice and mites and found none whatsoever. Could be worms but all of my other ladies are clear and having seen any with her yet...

She is about 5/6 I believe, that’s the closest I can get, she is a rescue. She does lay, one of our best despite her age. I only noticed her yesterday and she seemed to look a lot better today, color in her face, less hunched over. Poop was still runny and bright green, no piling. I have corid if needed, checked for lice and mites and found none whatsoever. Could be worms but all of my other ladies are clear and having seen any with her yet...
I’d try the Corid. Otherwise, she could have something else going on internally that we can’t see. When was the last time she laid an egg?

Yes, do the Corid. In addition to the drinking water, give her a Corid drench in addition. That would be syringing .1ml per pound of body weight directly into her beak for three days while you do the Corid in the water for five.

Yes, do the Corid. In addition to the drinking water, give her a Corid drench in addition. That would be syringing .1ml per pound of body weight directly into her beak for three days while you do the Corid in the water for five.
Thanks for all the advice, she did end up passing away during the night. Should I treat the flock she was with?

And I apologize, to clarify, how many teaspoons go into a gallon of their water.

Back
Top Bottom