Lethargic and thin but still eating - Help!

ruca3144

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Carroll County, MD
Myrtle is a 3 year old silkie. Yesterday I noticed she was not herself - lethargic and just out of it, sometimes nodding off. She is also very thin! I didn’t notice initially because of all of her fluffy feathers. She still eats and drinks when I put it in front of her. I first suspected sour crop because her crop felt mushy. But it seemed like it emptied by morning And there aren’t any sour smells coming from her that I can notice. I have not had any crop issues before, so I’m new to what’s normal and what’s not. Hers just feels so different from my other chickens. So I’m still unsure if this is crop-related.
Her poop is runny, green and white. The rest of my flock is totally normal.
Right now I have her isolated inside. I am still giving her food and water with electrolytes. She did seem to perk up a little today, but still pretty much wouldn’t leave her little area on the deck. Every once in awhile she would wander off under a tree or bush. I am unsure of what to do next since I cannot seem to figure out the culprit. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 7F8964C5-02A0-4770-AD1D-E6012D65F826.jpeg
    7F8964C5-02A0-4770-AD1D-E6012D65F826.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 21
Does she lay eggs? When was the last one?

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
Look her over for lice/mites too.
Have you ever dewormed her? If not, getting a fecal float would be a good idea. If that's not possible, then deworming her may be a step you want to consider taking.

Does she lay eggs? When was the last one?

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
Look her over for lice/mites too.
Have you ever dewormed her? If not, getting a fecal float would be a good idea. If that's not possible, then deworming her may be a step you want to consider taking.
She does still lay eggs, however, my flock is starting to slow down this time of year. I haven’t had an egg from either silkie in about 2 weeks. I don’t believe she’s eggbound.

Her crop felt empty this morning so I gave her some oatmeal and cooked acorn squash. I also gave her some acorn squash last night and she was loving it and acted a little more like herself. This morning her poop was pretty much solid so that was a little victory! Since she has eaten today, her crop is now full but feels more normal to me. Not mushy but not hard - firm but soft. She’s more perked up today, but I still catch her hiding and falling asleep standing up occasionally (not as much as yesterday though).

She has not been dewormed and was wondering how I should go about doing that. Is that something I can take care of at home? Or should I call a vet?

I appreciate your response!

A balanced chicken feed would be best for her since it has all of the nutrients she needs. You may add a bit of water to some in a small bowl and offer it to her. I add a little plain yogurt and cooked egg for added interest.

She has not been dewormed and was wondering how I should go about doing that. Is that something I can take care of at home? Or should I call a vet?
If you have a vet that will perform a fecal float on a sample of her poop that would be great, but sometimes that's just not an option.
If you wish to deworm her, then you can do that yourself.

Safeguard or Valbazen would be good choices.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight, given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Keep check on her crop and try to encourage her to eat her normal feed. I know little hens can be picky but do the best you can.

If you have a vet that will perform a fecal float on a sample of her poop that would be great, but sometimes that's just not an option.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight, given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Keep check on her crop and try to encourage her to eat her normal feed. I know little hens can be picky but do the best you can.
Update! So while I was trying to administer the Safeguard, I spotted a mite! So now it’s onto treatment. This is a first for me as well so please let me know your advice if you have any.

Permethrin dust or spray are very good for mites and lice. Mites should be treated at least twice at 7 day intervals, along with replacing the coop bedding and treatment of the coop, nests, and roost with permethrin spray.

Just a little update and had some additional questions. Some of the results came back from her necropsy (she passed Sat night). She had a heavy load of capillaria and also a little Coccidia (I did not see any visible signs of either aside from green diarrhea). Now I want to treat the rest of my flock. No one else is showing symptoms and stools are looking okay, but I am a little suspicious of my 8.5 yo. I also have 2 or 3 that are molting and I know some medicines should not be given during molt.

- Can I treat both issues simultaneously? Or just focus on one first?
- Some of my girls are a little tough to handle. What would be the best method to tackle worms? Safeguard paste vs liquid? I’ve heard of some people giving it to them in water or on a piece of bread But not sure what’s best.

I'm sorry to hear she died.

You can treat for both at the same time if you wish.
Safeguard is given orally and Corid is given in the water. Dosing is the same for Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or Equine paste.

Easiest way to dose is to go out early and grab a hen while she's roosting, dose her, put her on the ground then grab another. Makes it pretty quick.
Here's how to https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom