Lethargic and weak light Brahma hen

Chickens-diva

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
My light Brahma hen is about 5 months old and recently started laying eggs. She has always been the "slower hen" and has lately been noticeably sleepy. Yesterday, I gave the flock mealworms and she stood sleepily and only got excited when I hand-fed her. (she had a great appetite then).

Today, I came to the flock and she was in the coop (not the run) and was sitting there sleepily. I let chickens out (and they are all typically super excited BOUT this) and she just stayed in there and then slowly got up and walked with her body very low to the ground. She got stuck at the door (which swings open) and when I went to help her I picked her up and noticed she was really weak. Her crop was empty, she was closing her eyes a lot (like she was trying to sleep but was waking up), and she pooped a malachite green color that was watery. She couldn't stand and just pecked at the grass around her, and when she got up she was unstable and plopped back down.

I isolated her from the flock (that have shown no symptoms for the past 3 days) and she has happily eaten a lot of cooked egg and has more of an appetite. (she had an appetite earlier but the other chickens would bully her)

Is there anything I can do? She doesn't seem to be doing that well and I'm worried for her.

Well, it could be .. kind of anything but from the info you have given my first instinct would be to feel her bum. When was the last time you saw her lay an egg? Can you get a photo of her? And her poop? Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Calcium? Is her vent contracting? What are your temps? Where are you at?

**** also sounds like she does not have long so you need to get into action.

It sounds like she might have an ecoli infection. I recommend giving her Enrofloxacin and SMZ-TMZ for 5 days.
Here's where you can purchase liquid Enrofloxacin. Follow the instructions for the liquid administration.
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=ce5db33b7&_ss=r
Here's where you can purchase SMZ-TMP:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=A82E4C21-5F3B-44AC-8641-38AA87B04D57
Use a pill cutter and quarter the tablet (4 quarters).
Give her 1/4 twice a day for no more than 5 days.

I would get her drinking fluids this evening if she is still awake, and offer some wet chicken feed, plus more egg in the morning. If a vet is available, you might be able to get her treated earlier with antibiotics. Or order them if you cannot, and try to get her taking food and water. B complex can help appetite and many other issues. Some pullets will get reproductive infections or conditions early on, but she might have been low in pecking order and was kept from eating. Let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom