lethargic chick...new chicken keeper

Laurafay4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Denver, CO
I am brand new to chickens. I purchased 4 chicks, 2 orphingtons, a silver wyandotte amd a gold wyandotte. All but the gold wyandotte are well. She is sluggish, sleeps all the time, she was eating and drinking last night but all day when I check on them she is lying down while her sisters are out and about. I have forced her to drink a couple times, and she does with no problem. She wad drinking and eating fine the day before, but from day one seems a little more frail and sleepy.

I am new to chickens, so I am not sure if this is something to worry about or not. They are just under a week old. Am I rreaking for no reason? What can I do to help?

Medicated chick feed. Clean water. She passed last night about an hour after this post. Pretty heartbreaking, even though she was only with me for 3 days. Just happy the other 3 are alright. What causes this? Her poop was fine.

Fyi, had a second chick die the exact same symptoms as first, about 4 days later. Been cleaning their water every hour or 2 now. Now a 3rd chick has a slightly protruding vent. Everything says the same, help them poo, clean it, prep h, and help put the vent back in. My onky question is, how do I put it back in? The posts say use a finger, but that is for grown hens...not week old chicks! HELP

Back
Top Bottom