Lethargic Chick with black spot on belly

jrleader99

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Salem County, New Jersey
Hey - so we incubated our first chicks and have one that has is lethargic and has a black spot or lump on her belly somewhere around where I would assume her belly button would be. She was hatched Saturday.

Any ideas?
idunno.gif

Here are two pics:

25894_pict0002.jpg

25894_pict0001.jpg

Everyone else is doing well - running around eating, drinking and chirping like crazy. She does not seem to be too interested in food or water.

poor girl! Is is definitely the belly or is it the vent? If it is the vent then it could just be pasty butt, and would need to be soaked and cleaned off. If it is the belly button area then it is possible that it is from where the yolk was absorbed, perhaps it is just healing slowly- try giving water with electrolytes, or sugar water- hope she pulls through!

good to hear it's not pasty butt.
wink.png
but like the other poster could just be where yolk sac was and needs a little extra time to heal, but you need to watch the other chicks if they see it they could do serious harm to this chick buy pecking it and making it worse. Do yoiu have any blue-kote? it is great for healing and also will disguise wounds and keep others from pecking.

Sorry you lost your chick, I had that happen before and I left it in the incubator wrapped in a warm wet washcloth and it absorbed the rest of the yolk, if you catch it early enough sometimes it helps, sometimes these things just happen though.

Back
Top Bottom