Lethargic chicken with bent neck

MrGrit

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
Five month old rhoad island red hen started laying 2 weeks ago , just started showing signs of being lethargic has a bent neck in an S curve, head is staying upright, clear mucus in mouth, no mucus in nose, no crusty nose, eyes are clear, comb is normal, not eating not drinking, looks around confused, diarrhea and empty crop, wings drooping not sure what is going on, friend said it might be sour crop but I don't know why her neck would be in an S shape, would appreciate any help

Five month old rhoad island red hen started laying 2 weeks ago , just started showing signs of being lethargic has a bent neck in an S curve, head is staying upright, clear mucus in mouth, no mucus in nose, no crusty nose, eyes are clear, comb is normal, not eating not drinking, looks around confused, diarrhea and empty crop, wings drooping not sure what is going on, friend said it might be sour crop but I don't know why her neck would be in an S shape, would appreciate any help
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your pullet, her poop and of the inside of her beak?
What do you feed?

Could she have been injured somehow? The S shape to neck, I would wonder if it's Wry Neck, hopefully with the photos we can offer better suggestions.
I would try to get her hydrated and give her some poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 (Thiamine).

really the neck doesnt show much, it looks like full crop in the center of her chest, but its her neck not her crop. we gave her vitamins which perked her up. we have her isolated. shes now starting to eat fermented feed which is a good sign. ill grab some pictures but like i said its not an obvious bent neck like one would think. a friend of mine is saying it sounds like a physical injury more than anything else. but as we know. symptoms in a chicken could be 20 things.

she has preked up a lot since this morning. raised tail feathers and wings being held up now. she eats on her own but not to the same extent as normal. still has some clear mucus. drinking on her own more so than eating

her crop was empty, and it was soft. she responded very well to the vitamins. i have her outside in her own area to get some fresh air. shes been eating grass and her feed but not at a normal rate. She still moves a bit slow and isnt getting around like she normally does. the mucus is not like it was. Yesterday when we noticed her behavior the entire inside of her beak was mucus filled (clear) after giving her vitamins she perked up within 10mins and started walking around more. fast forward to today and the inside of her mouth does not have mucus build up. it seems that after she drinks water drips out of her mouth more than normal, maybe do to the lack of interest in consuming. she drinks and eats but as a much lower rate than normal.

So the crop had nothing in it? You mention it was soft-did it feel a bit doughy?

I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning.
it felt a bit doughy almost like a touch of liquid was in it. but not much. pretty much empty. maybe swallowed mucus? not sure to be honest. when i spoke to a friend they asked me to check if it was hard or soft. didnt pay attention to the texture of the softness. it wassnt doughy to the point of sinking in if that makes sense. i dont think she ate or drank anything until we gave her vitamins. she just wanted to sit with the goose and sleep. shes not showing that behavior anymore. shes staying awake.

her crop was empty, and it was soft.
it felt a bit doughy almost like a touch of liquid was in it. but not much. pretty much empty. maybe swallowed mucus? not sure to be honest. when i spoke to a friend they asked me to check if it was hard or soft. didnt pay attention to the texture of the softness. it wassnt doughy to the point of sinking in if that makes sense. i dont think she ate or drank anything until we gave her vitamins. she just wanted to sit with the goose and sleep. shes not showing that behavior anymore. shes staying awake.
Can you post some photos of your pullet, her poop and of the inside of her beak?
What do you feed?

Re-Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink - it should be empty/flat - you should not feel liquid, doughiness or anything in there. If it has anything in it, then I would address the issue asap - see the article linked below.

Get some photos of her overnight droppings and of her too please.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Shes looking a lot better today, even more so than yesterday. Crop was completely empty didnt feel doughy. Was very lively. wassnt eating or drinking much but she had food and water in with her. i will keep an eye on her throughout the day. she is our biggest hen maybe her neck twisting was due to her low energy not to sure. I feed organic layer 16% protein

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

Back
Top Bottom