Lethargic guinea keet

TexasHeifer

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Texas
I was given 5 Guinea keets about 1 month ago. Today they're all almost 2 months old. Everyone's doing great except one, this one's the smallest out of everyone, seems very lethargic, very watery poop, and doesn't keep up with the rest of the keets. It eats and drinks just fine, like everyone else, but otherwise pretty much either lays down all day or walks very slow along the fence line around the coop. It holds its wings very low at it's side, doesn't make a sound when I pick it up, and goes almost completely limp in my hands. I didn't get to pick these keets out of the flock they came from, they were pre picked for me. This chick was a little slow from the very beginning but definitely nothing like it is now. I figured it was probably stress because I don't think these keets were given much food or water by their previous owners who repeatedly said they wanted nothing to do with them and had been keeping them, along with several others, in a hot horse stall since they hatched. On top of that they had about an hour car ride back to my place in a box( with the AC blowing on them). Because of all they'd been through I had them in a brooder pen for about 2 weeks I gave them Life-lytes Megs Tabs Supplement in their water the whole time and had been feeding them Medicated Chick Starter and still am. Since then they've been in the coop with the rest of my guineas and everyone else is doing great. I've been giving this keet Poultry Cell( 3cc) once a day for 2 days now and it doesn't seem to be doing much. Is there anything else I could try?

This is how it sits almost all day

Last edited:
You could try treating it for coccidiosis with Corid. You'll find Corid in the cattle section of Tractor Supply.

• Corid powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days
  • Corid liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days

-Kathy

So sorry!

-Kathy
Thank you for your help! So I pulled almost 1.5cc of fluid off the heart and found it's croup and intestines completely full of straw and worms and there was no veining on the intestines. Any idea what these worms are and what wormer will get rid of them?? I'm planning on worming everyone. I really liked this keet to darn it! It was piebald lavender
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom