Lethargic hen - Green poop

AC_SoCal

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
My black australorp has been acting off for the last 10 days. She skipped laying eggs for 3 days straight which is not normal, then the 4th and 5th day laid soft shell eggs (not in the nesting box). She has not laid since for 5 days now. She has been acting very lethargic sitting most of the time in a corner. Not much of an appetite, eats some food scraps but shows no interest in feed or scratch. She eats a little bit of grass and has liquidy green poop (see pic attached).

Any thoughts on what it could be? When this started I thought I would lose her in the next 2-3 days but she has pulled through till now.
IMG_1696 2.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg

I dont know what she’s got but I would start putting her inside on a warm spot where she doesn't have to deal with the other chickens. And to prevent further contamination.

Give her fresh water and quality food.

Bring her poo to a vet to check on parasites.

Thank you for your response @BDutch. She does seem to be slightly more interested in food today. Hopefully it is a sign of a turnaround.

Hey I have a hen who is behaving the same way you described. We have had very hot weather so we brought her inside for a day to feed up and cool down. How did your hen do?

Unfortunately she didn’t make it. Warm baths helped but only temporarily. Seemed like reproductive issue as it impacted the laying and did not affect the other chicken. Our first loss so it was tough.

Unfortunately she didn’t make it. Warm baths helped but only temporarily. Seemed like reproductive issue as it impacted the laying and did not affect the other chicken. Our first loss so it was tough.
I’m very sorry to hear that. Ours is one of my favourites so it’s already very emotional. Thank you for sharing.

@Lalachickens How is your chicken doing?
Not too great, I’m sorry to report. I really appreciate your asking. Today she has been even lower energy than before. Her comb is just DOWN now. Didn’t eat much. I gave her a bowl of sand and oyster shells, and she is really into that, less so the food. I put some applesauce and DE in her food - not sure if it was that she didn’t like, but she had plain food as an option as well. I know some ppl don’t think DE is a good idea but we are willing to give it a shot with her in case it’s works. She barely ate at all.

She had a couple almost normal poops today, a couple little ones this morning, and a slightly bigger one this aft, the rest just milky white/urine.

We don’t think she will make it much longer and are considering euthanizing. Once we discussed that out loud, we decided to make her last day/days the best possible and gave her some fruit (strawberries/cantaloupe/cucumber) and she ate a really good amount.
She has been trying to keep her eyes open, but once we ave her the fruit she didn’t stop eating for like an hour.
We know she isn’t going to last long, we think it’s likely reproductive system based on anything I have read. So so so sad but we also want what is best for her since we love her.
On the flip side, one of our brown hens who was overdue for laying, laid her first egg right in front of me today. It was like she knew I needed a sign I wasn’t a terrible chicken mother.

Sorry to hear about the update. Believe me, I know it is very hard. You are doing the best you can.

Good to hear about a new laying member of the flock. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom