Lethargic hen near to death!!!

XxcremexX

Hatching
5 Years
May 25, 2014
Hi this is my first time using this website and I hope you can help me! Ok let me start from the begining my hen she is about 2 years old and has never had any problems like this started to look lethargic yesterday. I noticed she had yellowish maybe white diarrhea. She would just stand in place and close her eyes I started to get worried and got her some antibiotics. I then later noticed that her vent area was very swollen. Forgot to mention, we have sort of a pecking problem with our hens and she had been pecked around that area it also looked yellowish and pink and swollen so I put on some blu kote to see if it helped. Looks like it didn't this morning I noticed that she had gotten worse and she looked very weak and she would just lay there. She refuses to eat and I've had to be forcing her to eat! I can't afford a vet right now and I'm hoping you can help me thanks for your time! P.s sorry for my grammar/punctuation I'm kinda in a hurry here:/

Welcome to BYC. She could possibly have egg yolk peritonitis. Yellow diarrhea can be from possible E.coli infection, but it would be hard to know without a vet to do a fecal test. Vent pecking can be one of many causes of internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. If you could just take a stool sample in to be checked, the vet could look for bacteria, worms, or coccidia which are all things that might lead to a diagnosis. This might only cost the price of a stool sample fecal test.

Back
Top Bottom