Lethargic hen, open mouth breathing, her whole body moves when she breaths

Pics

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
I have an Easter egger hen who has been breathing with her mouth open and her whole body and tail moves when she breaths she has been lethargic and standing under a tree most of the day. I don’t think she’s laying. She’s still eating and drinking. About a week ago I treated everyone with Corid because they had bloody poop and one hen is just getting over impacted crop.

Attachments

• C0D74AE1-FD3C-4FBC-B2DD-0CB245682B27.jpeg
    C0D74AE1-FD3C-4FBC-B2DD-0CB245682B27.jpeg
    999.2 KB · Views: 68
  • AA34AAC0-5C29-4499-8B07-3A424BECFE4B.jpeg
    AA34AAC0-5C29-4499-8B07-3A424BECFE4B.jpeg
    657.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 8F25AD99-F1A2-4380-AE2B-A4007D5A1F87.jpeg
    8F25AD99-F1A2-4380-AE2B-A4007D5A1F87.jpeg
    804.4 KB · Views: 10
I have an Easter egger hen who has been breathing with her mouth open and her whole body and tail moves when she breaths she has been lethargic and standing under a tree most of the day. I don’t think she’s laying. She’s still eating and drinking. About a week ago I treated everyone with Corid because they had bloody poop and one hen is just getting over impacted crop.
Is it warm where you are?

Sounds as if you could have coccidiosis in your flock. If you've had visitors with muddy shoes visit or borrowed any garden implements or had any top soil or sand brought in, you may have imported coccidia.

How long did you treat with Corid? What were the proportions of the solution? Did you do a followup treatment for another five days a week after finishing the first round?

If you did all of the above, this hen may be suffering from necrotic enteritis, a fancy name for intestinal infection. She may need a sulfa antibiotic to help her recover. Being in California, lucky you, you are not able to get antibiotics for your animals without going through a vet. So, if you have a vet for your dog or cat, call them and ask for a sulfa antibiotic for your chickens.

Sounds as if you could have coccidiosis in your flock. If you've had visitors with muddy shoes visit or borrowed any garden implements or had any top soil or sand brought in, you may have imported coccidia.

How long did you treat with Corid? What were the proportions of the solution? Did you do a followup treatment for another five days a week after finishing the first round?

If you did all of the above, this hen may be suffering from necrotic enteritis, a fancy name for intestinal infection. She may need a sulfa antibiotic to help her recover. Being in California, lucky you, you are not able to get antibiotics for your animals without going through a vet. So, if you have a vet for your dog or cat, call them and ask for a sulfa antibiotic for your chickens.
I did not do the follow up treatment is it the same dosage as the first dose. I believe I was told to do 1 tablespoon per gallon and I gave my very sick hen 0.1 ml per pound. And I treated for 5 days

Back
Top Bottom